Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Francis Hookham Francis Hookham is offline

Default Navigation Pane problem

I have a multi page document where I store all sorts of information in short
Normal style paragraphs, sometimes one liners and sometimes including links.
The Normal paragraphs are organised under Heading 1 and Heading 2 paragraphs
and is viewed in Print Layout in two columns with the Navigation Pane ticked
and set to Document Map to provide a Heading 1 and Heading 2 'index' at the
side.

It is disappointing that a few of the Normal paragraphs appear in the
Document Map and I cannot get rid of them whatever I do. I really have tried
everything including using a custom style instead of Normal.

Is there a way of limiting what is visible in the Navigation Pane to
Headings 1 and 2 only so none of the Normal paragraphs would can there?

Francis Hookham

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The Normal style paragraphs that show up in the document map have been
assigned outline levels (Paragraph dialog box); you can get rid of this
formatting by pressing Ctrl+Q (which clears direct paragraph formatting).

To prevent Word from assigning outline levels, try clearing the "Define
styles based on your formatting" (AutoFormat As You Type tab of the
AutoCorrect dialog box) option.

See also http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/DocumentMap.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Francis Hookham" wrote in message
I have a multi page document where I store all sorts of information in
short Normal style paragraphs, sometimes one liners and sometimes including
links. The Normal paragraphs are organised under Heading 1 and Heading 2
paragraphs and is viewed in Print Layout in two columns with the Navigation
Pane ticked and set to Document Map to provide a Heading 1 and Heading 2
'index' at the side.

It is disappointing that a few of the Normal paragraphs appear in the
Document Map and I cannot get rid of them whatever I do. I really have
tried everything including using a custom style instead of Normal.

Is there a way of limiting what is visible in the Navigation Pane to
Headings 1 and 2 only so none of the Normal paragraphs would can there?

Francis Hookham

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Francis Hookham Francis Hookham is offline

Thank you Stefan - just what I wanted to take away with me for the weekend
and sort out - great!

Francis