Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phrank

Default Custom toolbars not staying docked where I want them

I've created a couple custom toolbars, and I've weeded out the other
menu buttons that I don't want in the other, more standard toolbars.
However, when I open documents, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or
reason where my new toolbars will doc in the menu area at the top of
the screen. Sometimes they are where I put them, and sometimes they
are more spread out and even take up more lines of screen real estate.
How can I get my toolbars to behave and always open where I want them?
Thanks.

Frank
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Phrank,

I've created a couple custom toolbars, and I've weeded out the other
menu buttons that I don't want in the other, more standard toolbars.
However, when I open documents, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or
reason where my new toolbars will doc in the menu area at the top of
the screen. Sometimes they are where I put them, and sometimes they
are more spread out and even take up more lines of screen real estate.
How can I get my toolbars to behave and always open where I want them?

There's really no good way to achieve this, especially if your menu bars
aren't located in Normal.dot, or if you have Addins or other templates
that display a set of their own toolbars.

You can achieve a bit of control using macro code, manipulating
CommandBars by setting the RowIndex, Priority and Left properties. But
there's no way to "set them in stone" or get 100% predictability.

There are one or two toolbars I dock at the left or bottom of the
screen, for this very reason.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

I finally put a macro in the templates holding some of my toolbars that puts
them in a particular place when the holding template is first accessed. To
do it, I first positioned them where I wanted them and the used the vba
editor's immediate window to query positions. Then I wrote a macro to put
the toolbars there. You need the name of your toolbar to do this.

Query statements:
? CommandBars("MyToolbar").Left
? CommandBars("MyToolbar").Top

In a document template, I would put a procedure in AutoOpen and AutoNew to
park the toolbar in that position. In a global template, it would be an
AutoExec macro.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.