Dave

Default Deleting Section breaks, Loosing Headers

I have a 5 page document and at the end of each page I put a section break
instead of a page break. I want to get rid of all section breaks but I loose
my Headers and footers.
Daiya Mitchell

Yes, that's the way it works. Headers and footers are per section, not per
page. See here for a fuller explanation:
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Steven Marzuola

Dave wrote:
I have a 5 page document and at the end of each page I put a section break
instead of a page break. I want to get rid of all section breaks but I loose
my Headers and footers.

There's a lot that might be going on here, more than meets the eye.
There's several ways to fix this type of thing. I'm going to give
you a few things to think about, and depending on exactly what
you're trying to do, I or somebody else will chime in some more.

FIRST: If you want different pages of the document to have
different headers and footers, then basically, you need section
breaks. The exception is, if you want the first page to have a
different header and footer. You can do that with a single section
(and no section breaks).

Decide what you need, then click File | Page Setup, Layout, and
click or remove the click from "Different first page". This doesn't
exactly work intuitively. When you turn it off, all the pages in
the section will get the Header/Footer that is on page 2.

SECOND: Normally, when you add section breaks, Word keeps the same
headers and footers for each section. Then when you delete all the
section breaks you're left with a single header and footer.

From what you're describing, I believe that you must have set at
least one of the headers or footers to be different from its predecesor.

If you follow the steps below, you will delete all the individual
headers except for one. This will be the header for section 1,
which will then apply to all the other sections. After that, you
can delete all the section breaks. (There's other ways, this is just
what I would do.)

1. Click View | Headers and Footers, and move to the header that you
want to put on all the pages. Press Ctrl-A and then Ctrl-C to
select and copy this entire header.

2. Find the "Same as Previous" button on the Header and Footer toolbar.

3. If the "Same as Previous" button is greyed out, then click the
"Show Next" button, until the "Same as Previous" button is NOT
greyed out. Click the "Same as Previous" button, and click "Yes" to
confirm that you want to delete this header/footer.

4. Keep repeating step 3 until you reach the last section. At this
point, you have only one header, the one in section 1. The header
in section 2 is the same as in 1, the one in 3 is the same as 2, etc.

5. Press Ctrl-A, then Del. That gets rid of any existing header.
Then press Ctrl-V, to paste in the header you want.

NEXT: switch to the Footer. Repeat steps 1-5, but this time, look
only at the Footers and not the Headers.

FINALLY: You can then delete all the section breaks.