max2000

Default TOC does not work after imaging

I have TOCs in many documents and have no luck getting them to work once they
are converted to pdf or mdi files. The original word document works but not
the image. Please send any information you have to fix this problem.
Stefan Blom

I think you answered your own question, in the subject line. Since a PDF
is a "frozen" version of the converted document, you can't update its
table of contents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"max2000" wrote in message
I have TOCs in many documents and have no luck getting them to work
once they
are converted to pdf or mdi files. The original word document works
but not
the image. Please send any information you have to fix this problem.

max2000

In 2000 I converted about 300 documents in which the TOCs worked after
conversion. I recently was asked to convert aditional doc files and now the
TOCs do not work after conversion. I'm thinking I use to use distiller, do
you think that might be the problem?

"max2000" wrote in message
I have TOCs in many documents and have no luck getting them to work
once they
are converted to pdf or mdi files. The original word document works
but not
the image. Please send any information you have to fix this problem.

Daiya Mitchell

By "work", do you mean they are no longer hyperlinked and you can't click on
the TOC to jump to a chapter?

I've not exactly tested this myself, but I would expect carrying hyperlinks
from Word into PDFs to be one of the things that you pay for Acrobat to get,
and that might not be supported in less expensive programs or things that
come free with an OS (e.g. MDI). So I bet your diagnosis re Distiller is
correct.

There's some complicated code required to read Word's hyperlinks and convert
them into PDF hyperlinks.

"max2000" wrote in message
I have TOCs in many documents and have no luck getting them to work
once they
are converted to pdf or mdi files. The original word document works
but not
the image. Please send any information you have to fix this problem.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/