Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aljulong aljulong is offline

Default Find duplicate text using copy and paste, not Find and Replace

I need to search a document in Word 2003 containing jokes for duplicates.
The Find and Replace box has to be typed. Can I construct a query that uses
the ability to highlight text instead?
--
Al
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 04:56:00 -0800, aljulong
wrote:

I need to search a document in Word 2003 containing jokes for duplicates.
The Find and Replace box has to be typed. Can I construct a query that uses
the ability to highlight text instead?

The Find (and Replace, if you want to delete any duplicates) does _not_ "have to
be typed". Select (in your terms, "highlight", although Word uses that term for
a different feature) the first piece of text and copy it to the clipboard. Open
the Find/Replace dialog and press Ctrl+V to paste it into the Find What box.
(There is a limit to how much can be pasted, I think 255 characters.) Click the
Find Next button.

Beyond that, it would be possible to write a macro to search for additional
copies of whatever is selected, but it wouldn't be much more convenient than the
three-step procedure above.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman