Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pdzta

Default Can you place a symbol in a drop down menu in a form?

I am using Word 2003. I have a fillable form that I'm creating and want to
know if in a drop down menu field if I can place a symbol of a check mark as
one of the possible selections. Is this possible - and if so how do I do it?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim

Someone once asked sort of the same question. They wanted to add the &
symbol in the drop down. Some responded with the following link. hope this
helps you:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Use_Ampers...down_Field.htm

"pdzta" wrote:

I am using Word 2003. I have a fillable form that I'm creating and want to
know if in a drop down menu field if I can place a symbol of a check mark as
one of the possible selections. Is this possible - and if so how do I do it?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Apparently not. Word will seduce you into thinking you can, but you actually
can't (AFAICS).

1. You can't do this in a form field in a normal font (such as Times New
Roman or Arial) because those fonts don't contain check mark symbols.
Although you can paste in a check mark from another font (such as
Wingdings), and it will display in the "Drop-down item" box, it will become
a square in the "Items in drop-down list" box.

2. If you change the font of the form field to one that does contain a check
mark, such as Arial Unicode MS, you can paste in the check mark, and it will
display in both boxes, and if you make it the first item in the list, it
will even display in the form field in the document. But when you click the
arrow to drop down the menu, it will display as a square because menus in
Word use the Tahoma font. I don't know of any way around this limitation.