Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] soyeljefe77@gmail.com is offline

Default Mail Merge with Access not working

I am using Office 2003 in Windows XP. I am merging with and Access
Database and the query with which I link has a critieria ([Name]). I
follow the steps outlined by Microsoft as to how to open a DDE link
with Access, and it works great in Windows 2000, but not in XP. These
are the steps I follow (from the Microsoft help site):

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, confirm that Word uses Dynamic Data
Exchange (DDE) when you attach the Access database to the mail merge
document. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Open a new blank
document.
2. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.
3. Click to select the Confirm conversion at Open check box, and then
click OK.
4. On the Tools menu, point to Letters and Mailings, and then click
Mail Merge Wizard.
5. Under Select document type, click the type that you want, and then
click Next: Starting document.
6. Under Select starting document, click the document that you want to
use, and then click Next: Select recipients.
7. Under Select recipients, click Use an existing list, and then click
Browse under Use an existing list.
8. Locate and open the folder that contains the Access database that
you want to use as your data source, click the database, and then
click Open.
9. In the Confirm Data Source dialog box, click MS Access Databases
via DDE (*.mdb, *.mde), and then click OK.
10. In the Microsoft Access dialog box, click the Queries tab, click
the query that you want to use, and then click OK.

But when I choose the query I want, instead of giving me the criteria
dialog box (like it does in 2000) it gives me the "Find Data Source"
dialog box again.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Can you use /any/ of the queries (or tables) in your database as a data
source via DDE?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

wrote in message
[...]

Mail merge not working Simon Microsoft Word Help 1 June 7th 07 01:03 PM
working with mail merge Noah Mailmerge 2 April 15th 07 04:00 PM
Access checkboxes to Word merge not working leeann Mailmerge 1 July 11th 06 09:34 AM
word opens access in mail merge. Access is already opened.=twice Sherri Mailmerge 1 February 11th 06 05:59 PM
mail merge not working MamaMille56 Mailmerge 2 September 19th 05 07:52 AM