Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
McFox McFox is offline

Default Error in formating within mail merge

I am attempting to merge a percentage field in Excel into a Word mail merge.
However the format of the field is coming across in scientific notation
format, rather than as a simple percentage; thus -0.8% appears as
-8.0239339948077817E-3.

I have checked the format of the cell in Excel and it is listed as
'Percentage'.

Bizarrely, another spreadsheet with similar data and same formatting of the
cell is pulling through the percentage in the correct format!

Anyone out there help me?

Thanks.

McFox
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm
or
From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. Then when
you attach the data source to the mail merge main document, you will be
given the option of using the DDE method of connection which should read the
data as you have it formatted in the table.

McFox wrote:
I am attempting to merge a percentage field in Excel into a Word mail
merge. However the format of the field is coming across in scientific
notation format, rather than as a simple percentage; thus -0.8%
appears as -8.0239339948077817E-3.

I have checked the format of the cell in Excel and it is listed as
'Percentage'.

Bizarrely, another spreadsheet with similar data and same formatting
of the cell is pulling through the percentage in the correct format!

Anyone out there help me?

Thanks.

McFox

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
McFox McFox is offline

Graham

Thanks for this ... it worked, though i had a bit more tweeking to do as the
workbook had a number of worksheets I needed to link to as well.

Apologies also for time to get back, however I have had difficulty accessing
the site for the last week and so had to get some IT gurus to look at my set
up, which was causing the problem.

Thanks again.

Ian

"Graham Mayor" wrote: