Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jim McColl Jim McColl is offline

Default Commercial Printing and stapling of merge file

I generate newsletters for 2000 members. These are always 4 page 2 sided
newsletters (8 printed sides). These newsletters are stapled and placed in
window envelopes showing the members name, address and membership number. The
latter fields are obtained from and Access query using mailmerge in MS Word.

I get them printed at Staples and everything is fine except they cannot
electronically staple the newsletters together because word sends the merged
file as a whole job and Staples printer wants to staple the whole thing as a
single document.

Does anyone know a way to get their printer to staple the copies? I believe
my predecessor was working on some kind of macro, but he is long gone. I
suspect what is was is a VB routine to print one copy at a time. I suspect
this may be easy to do, but as I am not familiar with Visual Basic, I would
appreciate any assistance or alternate suggestions. I think if someone
provided me with the necessary code, I could figure out how to insert it into
a macro and get it working

Thanks

Jim McColl
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The following macro will send each newsletter to the printer as a separate
print job which should then allow the stapling to take place:

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
For i = 1 To .Sections.Count Step 1
.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:="s" & i, To:="s" & i
Next i
End With

I am not sure how you will go about convincing Staples to use it however.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jim McColl Jim McColl is offline

Doug - Thanks very much. This seems to work fine. I have no trouble with my
local Staples. The last time I ran off the newsletters, I showed the guy how
to run the mail merge and he was totally happy with it, so I doubt that he
will taks exception to this extra step.

I had to update my installation of Office as intitiaoly VBA macros were
disabled by default I guess. Another interesting wrinkle is that when I
select "Complete Merge" nothing happens, but when I then select edit
individual letters, it opens another document which I can then go ahead and
print , but first I have to create the macro in this new document.

Do you have any idea why "complete merge" no longer works?

THanks again
--
Jim McColl

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The Wizard confuses more people than it helps. Better to turn on the
display of the Mail Merge toolbar by selecting Toolbars from the View menu
and then checking the Mail Merge item. It has all of the buttons on it that
you will require.

Rather than updating your installation of Office, all that you needed to do
was to set the Macro Security level to Medium under ToolsMacroSecurity.

When you do that, you will be asked if you want to allow Macros in the
document when you open it. That is what is going to put the willys up
Staples.

If the Security level is set to High (as Staples may have it), you will not
get asked the question and the macros in the document will be disabled.

--

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jim McColl Jim McColl is offline

Thanks again Doug you are right we do get prompted re allowing macros but
this wont be a problem at my neighbourhood Staples. I did try changing the
security level settings prior to the re-install and nothing worked.

Your suggestion to use the toolbar worked great when I checked on the icon
for "find errors" two of the options allow you to complete the merge and they
do do that

So, looks like I am all set thanks to you

Best Regards

--
Jim McColl

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tanja Ryan Tanja Ryan is offline

Hi Doug,
I refer to the message below from 2006. I hope you can still help me with
the problem I have printing my mail merge documents with staples. We generate
newsletters every week and need to print them with staples.
We are using Word 2003. I tried to use the macro below but it doesn't do
anything. Can you let me know how I insert the macro correctly or if there is
a different macro for Word 2003? That would be ever so helpful.
Thanks a lot.
Tanja

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The plan is that you merge to a new document and then run the macro on that
document, which then treats each letter as a separate print task.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The following macro will send each newsletter to the printer as a
separate
print job which should then allow the stapling to take place:

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
For i = 1 To .Sections.Count Step 1
.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:="s" & i, To:="s" & i
Next i
End With

I am not sure how you will go about convincing Staples to use it
however.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP