Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
lynn lynn is offline

Default mergeing a document to make mailing labels

I created a document with Company's Name, Address, state and zip. I want to
make mailing labels. When I follow help's instructions. I can complete Step
I create the main document, but when I go to Step 2 "Open or create the data
source" I want to use an existing data source. I click on Get Data and I
get the following message...Word could not open mailing list as a data or
header source because it is the active merge main document. What don't I
understand and what am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It sounds to me as if you are probably using Word 2000 or earlier.

If not, let us know which version, and can you be as precise as you can
about exactly what messages and dialog boxes you see?

If it is Word 97 or 2000, when you click Get Data, you should see a drop
down with e.g. Create Data Source, Open Data Source and a couple of other
options. In this case, you should click the "Open Data Source..." option
next, at which point you should see a dialog box titled "Open Data Source".

What is the name of the data source?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk