Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Monte Monte is offline

Default WORD/EXCEL LABEL MAILMERGE

I have done this many times before. Now when I select my receipients from the
spreadsheet the program imports the ENTIRE list. I used to be able to cut and
paste the section I wanted, now it says it is too large. The Excel file is a
read only, can that be the problem?

Please help, I am going crazy.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From your description it is difficult to guess what you are doing. See where
what you are doing differs from
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

Monte wrote:
I have done this many times before. Now when I select my recipients
from the spreadsheet the program imports the ENTIRE list. I used to
be able to cut and paste the section I wanted, now it says it is too
large. The Excel file is a read only, can that be the problem?

Please help, I am going crazy.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Monte Monte is offline

Thanks Graham. This still does not work. When I select only a few of them on
the list it still sets up all of them. I clear all, them check the few I want
and replicate,then complete the merge and VOILA, I get all 19,000...

From your description it is difficult to guess what you are doing. See where

Monte wrote:
I have done this many times before. Now when I select my recipients
from the spreadsheet the program imports the ENTIRE list. I used to
be able to cut and paste the section I wanted, now it says it is too
large. The Excel file is a read only, can that be the problem?

Please help, I am going crazy.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

My reply to a similar question last year:

As far as I can tell, this will occur if you havemore than 10,000 records in
your data source and you are trying to select individual records in the
MailMerge Recipients Dialog Box, which can only contain 10,000. 9999 records
and you seem to be OK. Of course, some other factor may be at work as well.

The 10,000 limit is AFAIK undocumented by Microsoft. Actually, people have
mentioned similar problems before and I, for one, have never connected this
particular problem to that particular limit. But if it is the 10,000 limit,
you could try submitting a support incident, but I wouldn't hold your breath
for a solution. Personally, I would have thought that a limit that at least
accommodated the maximum number of rows in an Excel 2003 sheet would help a
lot of people and would not cause problems for present-day PCs.

The only other suggestions I can make are
a. apply query conditions /before/ making your selections, but there can be
problems in that area as well.
b. consider the possibility that when you reachthe 10,000 limit, you're in
the territory where MS is pushing you to do things in a different way. Sad
if that's the case but perhaps a nasty reality.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Monte" wrote in message
Thanks Graham. This still does not work. When I select only a few of them
on
the list it still sets up all of them. I clear all, them check the few I
want
and replicate,then complete the merge and VOILA, I get all 19,000...

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

From your description it is difficult to guess what you are doing. See
where