Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nkb nkb is offline

Default Format painter

I am trying to use format painter to copy text and shading of cells in a
table and apply this same shading (text is the same) to other cells. It does
not seem to work. I select the cell w/ shading, click on the format painter,
then select the cell(s) that I want to shade. Nothing happens. Am I doing
something wrong? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As far as I know, the Format Painter can only be used with text formatting
and, to a certain extent, with graphics.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"nkb" wrote in message
I am trying to use format painter to copy text and shading of cells in a
table and apply this same shading (text is the same) to other cells. It
does
not seem to work. I select the cell w/ shading, click on the format
painter,
then select the cell(s) that I want to shade. Nothing happens. Am I
doing
something wrong? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nkb nkb is offline

But, when I looked at the MS tutorial, the Format Painter changed a row from
no shading to color shading and a different font. Hmmm... Thanks for your
reply, Stefan.

nkb

"nkb" wrote in message
I am trying to use format painter to copy text and shading of cells in a
table and apply this same shading (text is the same) to other cells. It
does
not seem to work. I select the cell w/ shading, click on the format
painter,
then select the cell(s) that I want to shade. Nothing happens. Am I
doing
something wrong? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Do you have a link for the tutorial?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"nkb" wrote in message
I am trying to use format painter to copy text and shading of cells in a
table and apply this same shading (text is the same) to other cells.
It
does
not seem to work. I select the cell w/ shading, click on the format
painter,
then select the cell(s) that I want to shade. Nothing happens. Am I
doing
something wrong? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nkb nkb is offline

Stefan, after watching it again, it appears that it won't copy shading from
one cell to another in a table. It was only a heading w/ a top and bottom
border w/ shading that was copied w/ the format painter. And cells in Excel.
Sorry for my confusion.

"nkb" wrote in message
I am trying to use format painter to copy text and shading of cells in a
table and apply this same shading (text is the same) to other cells.
It
does
not seem to work. I select the cell w/ shading, click on the format
painter,
then select the cell(s) that I want to shade. Nothing happens. Am I
doing
something wrong? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I was just about to reply, "The example from Word is not a table, just
paragraph formatting."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"nkb" wrote in message
I am trying to use format painter to copy text and shading of cells
in a
table and apply this same shading (text is the same) to other cells.
It
does
not seem to work. I select the cell w/ shading, click on the format
painter,
then select the cell(s) that I want to shade. Nothing happens. Am
doing
something wrong? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nkb nkb is offline

Thanks so much, Stefan. It seems logical that if they can program the format
painter to copy shading in Excel and in a heading w/ border, that it should
be able to copy shading in a table cell, too, right? Oh well. What do I
know? You've been so helpful - are you reachable via email or just
through the MS community question "bank?" Thanks again!

"nkb" wrote in message
I am trying to use format painter to copy text and shading of cells
in a
table and apply this same shading (text is the same) to other cells.
It
does
not seem to work. I select the cell w/ shading, click on the format
painter,
then select the cell(s) that I want to shade. Nothing happens. Am
doing
something wrong? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"nkb" wrote in message
Thanks so much, Stefan.

You are welcome.

It seems logical that if they can program the
format
painter to copy shading in Excel and in a heading w/ border, that it
should be able to copy shading in a table cell, too, right?

Logic isn't necessarily a factor in word processing. :-)

Oh well. What do I
know? You've been so helpful - are you reachable via email or just
through the MS community question "bank?" Thanks again!

I don't regularly answer private emails on Word, if that's what you are
asking. I wouldn't have time to do that. Occasionally, though, I may offer
to take a look at a possibly corrupt file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"nkb" wrote in message
I am trying to use format painter to copy text and shading of
cells
in a
table and apply this same shading (text is the same) to other
cells.
It
does
not seem to work. I select the cell w/ shading, click on the
format
painter,
then select the cell(s) that I want to shade. Nothing happens.
Am
doing
something wrong? Thanks.

Format Painter Makes Unwanted Format Changes Tim Formatting Long Documents 7 July 19th 12 04:27 PM
Format Painter John9210 Microsoft Word Help 6 September 29th 07 08:38 PM
Format Painter Epinn Microsoft Word Help 0 September 16th 06 05:33 PM
Format Painter Meg Microsoft Word Help 2 May 15th 06 09:03 PM
Format Painter KC8DCN Microsoft Word Help 1 March 27th 06 01:20 AM