Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
askcarrienow askcarrienow is offline

Default help me with corrupted Word document!

I am praying that someone out there can tell me what the heck I need to do
here as I am desperate...

I uploaded a manuscript I created in Word 2007 onto an internet publishing
site, but my account liaison says that she cannot open the document - that it
is corrupted and needs to be decoded. How do I (or how does she) do this?

Some background: I did not originally have Word on my system. I created
this document in Word 2007 through a free trial I had (I apparently received
the free trial due to having opened a doument sent to me from someone else
that had been created in Word 2007). Realizing that this trial might not
take me through the entire editing, formatting, and proofreading phase, I
downloaded my XP Word 2002 (from my old computer) onto my new computer
(Vista) just in case, though I never had to use it. I finished the document
within the free trial (I could open it 25 times or something like that) and
sent it off to the publisher's website. When I was alerted to the problem, I
opened the document for my last available time in the Word 2007 trial and it
still looked fine. When I attempted to open it in my Word 2002, it comes up
as completely whacked - mostly characters. I tried asking it to open in
Unicode, but that did not work, and now it looks as though my document is in
Japanese or Chinese. Though smart, I am not technically savvy, and b/c we
are on a publishing deadline, I am freaking out. Does anyone have the answer
for me from my end - OR - the answer for my publishing account exec so she
can open it on her end?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2007 uses a different and incompatible file format from Word 2002. You
can either open the document in Word 2007 and save it as Word 97-2003
format, or you can download the 2007 compatibility pack for Word 2003
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx and use that
to open the document and save it as a Word document (DOC).
Your correspondent may even wish to download and install the compatibility
pack?