Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Debbie Debbie is offline

Default How to end a column, type a paragraph/title, then start back?

I am typing a document that has titles for each section, but the section
themselves are in 2 columns. I can't figure out how to make the column "end"
so I can type the new title (lengthy) and then restart. I set the column
back to 1 and that works while typing the title. However, when I restart
columns, it puts my title in the first column (even though there are hard
returns between). Clear as mud? Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You need a continuous section break at each point where you want to change
the number of columns. This is covered in the "Multicolumn sections in
single-column documents" part of
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm.

Although that page was written about a small two-column section in a
document that's mostly one column, the reverse situation works the same way.
That is, after finishing a two-column section, type the next section's title
(still as two columns) plus at least a paragraph mark of the next two-column
section. Then select the title paragraph and change it to one column; Word
will automatically insert section breaks before and after the title to
isolate it from the two-column text.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman