Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim D. Jim D. is offline

Default Intelligent search of Text in Word Docs similar to Acrobat Find fu

I am looking for an application or other help to solve the follwoing problem.
I produce large documents for clients that are actually a set of individual
reports. I need an application that can search through a number of these
documents in a directory (and subdirectories) for a specified search string
and display a line from the document where the string was found as well as
the document name where the text was found. When a user clicks on on of
these hits it will automatically open that target document and place the
cursor on that exact location where the search string was found.
I have seen a similar application work in Acrobat but it only works from
within a document, not across a directory full of documents, and I need this
for Microsoft Word documents, not *.pdf's. Does anyone know of such an
application or how to go about developing such a capability? Thanks.

--
Jim D. Tampa
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KC Rippstein hotmail com> KC Rippstein hotmail com> is offline

Default Intelligent search of Text in Word Docs similar to Acrobat Fin

Yes, I am right on this. It will return all results, but when you see a Word
document in the results, it will show you how many other Word documents fit
the bill...if you click on that number, then it filters your results to just
Word docs. And you can limit the search to a certain directory from the
start.

http://desktop.google.com/gettingstarted.html
- KC
--
Please remember to indicate when the post is answered so others can benefit
from it later.

"KC Rippstein" wrote:

I am 90% Google Desktop Search or Yahoo Desktop Search would meet your need.
They will give you a result list similar to searching with Google or Yahoo,
where it gives you the result in a one-line sample of its context along with
a hyperlink to the actual document. Both are free programs for download.
- KC