Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jade5 Jade5 is offline

Default Auto Update SaveDate before closing document

Hello:
How can I get the SaveDate field in my header to automatically update before
I close my document. Currently, it updates after I close and re-open the
document unless I right click and then click Update filed.
Thanks,
Jade
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can use an AutoClose macro. Record as a macro the steps to update the
field, and name it AutoClose. It would need to be stored in that document
(or, if you want it to affect all documents based on a particular template,
it could be stored in that template).

But, given that it automatically updates to the correct last-saved date/time
the next time the file is opened, why does it need to be updated right
before the file is closed?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Jade5" wrote in message
news
Hello:
How can I get the SaveDate field in my header to automatically update
before
I close my document. Currently, it updates after I close and re-open the
document unless I right click and then click Update filed.
Thanks,
Jade

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jade5 Jade5 is offline

Thanks Herb. I guess I like an instant change and thought maybe there was a
way to do it without using a macro.

"Jade5" wrote in message
news
Hello:
How can I get the SaveDate field in my header to automatically update
before
I close my document. Currently, it updates after I close and re-open the
document unless I right click and then click Update filed.
Thanks,
Jade

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jos Geerts Jos Geerts is offline

I would like to react on your question at the end.
I am using Word 2003 and the update fields seems to have disappeared when
opening the document.
I have a document containing the fields FILENAME and SAVEDATE.
I 'save as' this document with a new name in an central archive.
Anyone else that retrieves this document from the central archive and opens
it, sees in the file the old filename and the old savedate.
This is very annoying, confusing and frustrating. Even with a macro it is
hard to solve this, only a macro that saves twice (save-upgrade-save) solves
it.
Is there any other solution ?

Groeten,
Jos

"Jade5" wrote in message
news
Hello:
How can I get the SaveDate field in my header to automatically update
before
I close my document. Currently, it updates after I close and re-open the
document unless I right click and then click Update filed.
Thanks,
Jade

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See "The FILENAME field does not automatically update when you open a
document in Word 2002 or Word 2003" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832897