Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
AG[_2_] AG[_2_] is offline

Default change automatically the style/format of my references on bookmarks.

Hi all,

I am using references over bookmarks. It works fine, but the style of
the reference is not cool. The reference appear normal, and it is only
by moving the mouse on it that I can see that there is a link behind.
I get the text with "press CRTL+click to follow the link". I would
like theses references to look like hyperlinks. I can format the texte
like hyperlink myself, and check the option so that it is not changed
automatically when I update all the styles, but I would like it to be
done automatically, each time I insert a reference on a bookmark. How
can I do that ?

thank you,

Alexandre.

PS : I have been searching the newsgroups for this, and could not find
the answer.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

One approach: you can use Find & Replace to format all the
cross-reference fields at once, instead of individually. To do so, go to
EditFind. Click More in the dialog. Enter ^19 REF in the Find box. Put
your cursor in the Replace field, then click on the Format drop-down
menu in the dialog, select Font, and apply the formatting you want to
the empty Replace box.

I think last time I shared these directions, there was a missing step,
but I can't remember it. You might need to hit alt-F9 to show Field
Codes first, before running the Find and Replace.

As always, whenever doing a Replace All, test ON A COPY.

This is a retroactive approach--it won't operate when you insert a
reference, it just changes them afterwards.

AG wrote:
Hi all,

I am using references over bookmarks. It works fine, but the style of
the reference is not cool. The reference appear normal, and it is only
by moving the mouse on it that I can see that there is a link behind.
I get the text with "press CRTL+click to follow the link". I would
like theses references to look like hyperlinks. I can format the texte
like hyperlink myself, and check the option so that it is not changed
automatically when I update all the styles, but I would like it to be
done automatically, each time I insert a reference on a bookmark. How
can I do that ?

thank you,

Alexandre.

PS : I have been searching the newsgroups for this, and could not find
the answer.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
AG[_2_] AG[_2_] is offline

On 19 nov, 13:09, Daiya Mitchell wrote:
This is a retroactive approach--it won't operate when you insert areference, it just changes them afterwards.

Hi Daiya,

thank you for your reply. Do you think there should be a non
retroactive approach as well ? (even though you don't know it, of
course).

AG.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

AG wrote:
thank you for your reply. Do you think there should be a non
retroactive approach as well ? (even though you don't know it, of
course).

I would think not. Word applies the Hyperlink style automatically when
you create a hyperlink, but it doesn't apply it to cross-references and
I wouldn't think we could force it to. It would probably be possible to
write a macro that applied a particular style directly after you created
a cross-reference, but it'd still be subject to the same problem that
updating fields will wipe the formatting.

For your own use, setting Field Shading to Always (Tools | Options |
View) would help to signify this is clickable.

I'm not sure what you can do to get around the updating problem, as
that's liable to strike when you email the document around too. Forgot
about that, thanks Suzanne.

Hmm, this *might* be a possibility. Can you use the Insert | Hyperlink
functionality to do whatever it is you want to do, instead of
cross-reference? Picturing something like a list of Numbered Items at
the end of the document, if you Insert | Hyperlink | Document, will the
numbered items show up as options? Will hyperlinks to them update as
the numbers change? Maybe try testing that.

Daiya

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default change automatically the style/format of my references on book

But you could add the \* CHARFORMAT switch to prevent that from happening.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

AG wrote:
Hi all,

I am using references over bookmarks. It works fine, but the style of
the reference is not cool. The reference appear normal, and it is only
by moving the mouse on it that I can see that there is a link behind.
I get the text with "press CRTL+click to follow the link". I would
like theses references to look like hyperlinks. I can format the texte
like hyperlink myself, and check the option so that it is not changed
automatically when I update all the styles, but I would like it to be
done automatically, each time I insert a reference on a bookmark. How
can I do that ?

thank you,

Alexandre.

PS : I have been searching the newsgroups for this, and could not find
the answer.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Okay, that does work, but note that you have to apply the blue color and
underline as direct font properties; applying the Hyperlink style doesn't
work because Word still suppresses it. This is interestingly bizarre. You
can apply the Hyperlink style, and the text does not appear blue, yet when
you go to the Font Color palette to color it, the blue square is already
selected, and applying it makes no change, nor does applying Underline. Only
if you remove the Hyperlink character style and apply blue and underline
directly do you see any formatting. Weird!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Moreover, the formatting will be removed when the fields are updated.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

AG wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

This is a good point. The Hyperlink and FollowedHyperlink styles work rather
confusingly with hyperlinks. Applying a custom character style doesn't seem
to work either. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP