Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
charky charky is offline

Default Merge database into document multiple times

I am creating a document that will have 4 forms per sheet in Word 2003. I
need to merge the contents of a database into each form, but when I copied /
pasted the form into each quadrant of the table there was nothing in the
subsequent three quadrants, only the first. The contents of the database
changes routinely, so I only want to have to update the database to ensure my
forms are current when I print them. I'm not sure what I'm missing?
--
Vivian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

When the Mail Merge Main Document is active, press Alt+F9 to toggle on the
display of the field codes. Copy the ones from the first quadrant into the
respective places in the other three quadrants. I am not sure why they
would not have been copied the first time.

If you do not want the information from each record repeated in each
quadrant, you will need to insert a { NEXT } field before the first
mergefield in each of the second, third and fourth quadrants.

See the article "Mailmerge Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

/
pasted the form into each quadrant of the table there was nothing in the
subsequent three quadrants, only the first. The contents of the database
changes routinely, so I only want to have to update the database to ensure
my
forms are current when I print them. I'm not sure what I'm missing?
--
Vivian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
charky charky is offline

The first quadrant was set up with selected fields from each record and then
Record»"). When I initially copy the above information into each subsequent
quadrant with the "View merged data" on, all four quadrants show a complete
set of records that are printable. However, once the document is saved or
the "View merged data" is toggled on & off, the records in quadrants 2-4
disappears. I did a test print & none of the other quadrants prints with the
data once any changes are made. I've tried using the "MergeRec" field code,
as well as other field codes to no avail.

I'm testing this with a smaller form, but will eventually use it for a
larger form with many more fields, so I'd like to work out the "bugs."

--
Vivian

"charky" wrote in message
I am creating a document that will have 4 forms per sheet in Word 2003. I
need to merge the contents of a database into each form, but when I copied
/
pasted the form into each quadrant of the table there was nothing in the
subsequent three quadrants, only the first. The contents of the database
changes routinely, so I only want to have to update the database to ensure
my
forms are current when I print them. I'm not sure what I'm missing?
--
Vivian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

How did you insert the { Next }, or more specifically how did you create the
{ } that surround the Next? Either the field must be inserted from the Word
Fields or you must use Ctrl+F9 to create the { } inside of which you would
type Next.

That field should not be in the first quadrant, but should be the first
field in the second, third and fourth quadrants.

Did you look at the article on Graham's website to which I directed you?

--

"charky" wrote in message
I am creating a document that will have 4 forms per sheet in Word 2003.
need to merge the contents of a database into each form, but when I
copied
/
pasted the form into each quadrant of the table there was nothing in
the
subsequent three quadrants, only the first. The contents of the
database
changes routinely, so I only want to have to update the database to
ensure
my
forms are current when I print them. I'm not sure what I'm missing?
--
Vivian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
charky charky is offline

I used the "Insert Word Field" drop down box on the "Merge" toolbar to insert
{NEXT} after each line. If I don't insert {NEXT} into the first quadrant
following each line, the first record simply repeats over & over. I'm only
selecting certain records to merge, not all of them, so I've selected (by
checking) the records I want. Once I added the "Next Record" word field
(that appears as {NEXT} when I press alt F9) all of the records merged
appropriately in the 1st quadrant. But within the same page, in the same
document, I want the complete set of records in the other 3 quadrants. I
hope I'm explaining this thoroughly enough so you understand the issue?!?
--
Vivian

"charky" wrote in message
I am creating a document that will have 4 forms per sheet in Word 2003.
need to merge the contents of a database into each form, but when I
copied
/
pasted the form into each quadrant of the table there was nothing in
the
subsequent three quadrants, only the first. The contents of the
database
changes routinely, so I only want to have to update the database to
ensure
my
forms are current when I print them. I'm not sure what I'm missing?
--
Vivian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

So you want the same set of data to appear four times on the sheet?

If that is the case, I would just use a full size sheet of paper, execute
the merge to a new document and then use FilePrint and set the zoom to 4
pages per sheet and tell it to print pages 1, 1, 1, 1. You will then get
four sets of the data on the one sheet.

--

"charky" wrote in message
The first quadrant was set up with selected fields from each record and
then
a {Next} code following each line (e.g., "«LastName»,
«First_Initial»«Next