Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
noband noband is offline

Default Batch Renaming for Multiple files

I have an old database application that stored files as Word documents. Each
file has the same layout, with an asset number in the same field. I was able
to pull the Word files off to a share and now I want to change the file name
to the asset number without having to open each file, looking at the number,
and then changing it. Does anyone know of a utility that can do this?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

There is no existing utility that will be able to locate the asset number
within your files. It will take a custom-written macro, which will have to
be instructed on where to look in the file for that number. The macro will
open each file, locate the number, and do a Save As with the proper name.
This is not a rename, it's a Save As that leaves the original file
unchanged. Later you can delete the original files if everything went as
planned.

The general idea of a macro for opening each file and processing it is shown
at http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm. If you don't know
the VBA macro language, ask and someone may write the code for you -- but
*you* will have to supply the information about how to locate the asset
number in the text of the document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman