Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nicki Griffin Nicki Griffin is offline

Default thesis document

Hi
I've just joined this group. Any help appreciated! I was in the
process of setting up a master document (I've used them before for
large but simple docs) for a thesis. I'm doing it on an Apple Mac. Had
lots of problems as I was trying to do it including outline numbering,
but not for the chapter headings. And also because nothing seemed to
be working properly. Having read previous postings here I've changed
my mind about the master doc. But I want to keep it simple and within
Word. I've set up styles for Headings 1-4. I want Headings 2,3 and 4
to be numbered 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, then 2, 2.1, 2.1.1 and so on. But I
don't want the Chapter Heading to be numbered. I did Format/bullets/
outline numbering, then customize, and put Chapter instead of 1 for
Level 1. But it doesn't seem to work right. So this is (one of the
places) where I'm coming unstuck. I want to get this right as I'll be
wanting to produce a table of contents. And I've had nasty experiences
with those before.

Nicki

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To begin with, make sure you follow the setup in
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. What you
should do beyond that depends on whether each chapter has Heading 2s
numbered 1, 2, 3, etc., and they restart numbering in each new chapter, or
all the Heading 2s in Chapter 1 are numbered 1.

If the former, you'll need to be sure that Level 2 restarts numbering after
Level 1. If the latter, you'll have to add numbering to Level 1 (it can be
formatted as Hidden and followed by "(nothing)"), pick up the Level 1
numbering for Level 2 and not add any Level 2 numbering. Level 3 then has
its own numbering and picks up Level 1 (or 2) numbering.

ups.com...