Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dana H Dana H is offline

Default Word creating its own styles by adding to mine

Word keeps chaning 2 of my styles that I assigned.

For instance, one style I created is called "Services Performed" (has
Arial, 8 pt, bold, small caps, etc.)

Word keeps changing it to "Services Performed + Not Bold + Not Small Caps" !!!

Why!? Then when I delete the new style Word created using my original one,
it goes back to the correct one! Thanks, EK
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

These are not styles but "formatting." You can eliminate them by clearing
the "Keep track of formatting" box on the Edit tab of Tools | Options. This
is Word's way of nudging you to create a new style when you add direct
formatting to styles consistently.

"Dana H" wrote in message
Word keeps chaning 2 of my styles that I assigned.

For instance, one style I created is called "Services Performed" (has
Arial, 8 pt, bold, small caps, etc.)

Word keeps changing it to "Services Performed + Not Bold + Not Small Caps"

!!!

Why!? Then when I delete the new style Word created using my original one,
it goes back to the correct one! Thanks, EK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dana H Dana H is offline

Wow thanks, well that solved part of the problem, it's not creating the new
formatting names in the Styles and Formatting box, but the text is still not
holding the format I wanted even though when I click on the text, it is
pointing to the correct one in the Styles and Formatting box.

I have to click on the text and re-click the format I want manually... Any
ideas?

"Dana H" wrote in message
Word keeps chaning 2 of my styles that I assigned.

For instance, one style I created is called "Services Performed" (has
Arial, 8 pt, bold, small caps, etc.)

Word keeps changing it to "Services Performed + Not Bold + Not Small Caps"

!!!

Why!? Then when I delete the new style Word created using my original one,
it goes back to the correct one! Thanks, EK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Depends on what you're trying to do:

1. If you're trying to reset a paragraph to the formatting defined by the
style, use Ctrl+Spacebar (with text selected) to reset the character
formatting and Ctrl+Q to reset the paragraph formatting.

2. If you're trying to update the style to the current formatting, then
either choose "Update to Match Selection" in the Styles and Formatting task
pane or reselect the style in the Style dialog *after* checking the box for
"Prompt to update style" on the Edit tab of Tools | Options; the latter will
cause Word to produce a dialog asking what you want to do.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

These are not styles but "formatting." You can eliminate them by

clearing
the "Keep track of formatting" box on the Edit tab of Tools | Options.

This
is Word's way of nudging you to create a new style when you add direct
formatting to styles consistently.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Dana H" wrote in message
Word keeps chaning 2 of my styles that I assigned.

For instance, one style I created is called "Services Performed" (has
Arial, 8 pt, bold, small caps, etc.)

Word keeps changing it to "Services Performed + Not Bold + Not Small

Caps"
!!!

Why!? Then when I delete the new style Word created using my original

one,
it goes back to the correct one! Thanks, EK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] kmberlie@gmail.com is offline

This sounds like its related to the problem I have been having.

My problem happens when I copy/paste text that contains paragraphs and
choose the Keep Text Only option when pasting. After I paste the text
and later go and modify the style (named Chapter Text) Word will create
new formatting based on the style such as Chapter Text: + First Line:
0.5" and apply it to the existing text that had the Chapter Text style
applied to it instead of applying the modifications to it. The original
style exists with the correct changes but instead of applying the
changes to the text it just assigns this new style formatting to it.

I have automatically update turned off on the style. The style is not
based on any other style. This happens to me on both my desktop and my
laptop computer running Word 2003 on Windows XP.

Some things I noticed:

1. It only happens to text that I copied/pasted that contains
paragraphs. Text that was manually typed into the document will not
have the problem happen when it's style is modified.
2. If I choose Apply Style or Formatting when Pasting instead of Keep
Text Only it WILL NOT happen.
3. If I immediately save the document after choosing Keep Text Only
then modify the style it WILL NOT happen.
4. It only seems happens when I modify anything under the Paragraph
elements (Line Spacing, Paragraph Indent, etc) to the style. Modifying
Font for example will not cause the problem.
5. It does not seem to happen to any of Word's default style such as
"Normal"

I know that I can just reapply the original formatting to the text
after I paste but my issue is I have a VBA project that has a user form
to change the look of a book's chapter text that modifies the style and
this is occurring when using that form as well which makes it seem that
it is a bug in my program. However it is also happening outside my
program in a new Word document and modifying styles manually.

Is there anyway to tell Word to never create new formatting or do you
have any ideas how to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

Kimberly AKA Berlie

On Oct 19, 5:59 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Depends on what you're trying to do:

1. If you're trying to reset a paragraph to theformattingdefined by the
style, use Ctrl+Spacebar (with text selected) to reset the characterformattingand Ctrl+Q to reset the paragraphformatting.

2. If you're trying to update the style to the currentformatting, then
either choose "Update to Match Selection" in theStylesandFormattingtask
pane or reselect the style in the Style dialog *after* checking the box for
"Prompt to update style" on the Edit tab of Tools | Options; the latter will
causeWordto produce a dialog asking what you want to do.

Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

"Dana H" wrote in ...

"Dana H" wrote in message
Wordkeeps chaning 2 of mystylesthat I assigned.

For instance, one style I created is called "Services Performed" (has
Arial, 8 pt, bold, small caps, etc.)

Wordkeeps changing it to "Services Performed + Not Bold + Not Small

Caps"
!!!

Why!? Then when I delete the new styleWordcreated using my original

one,
it goes back to the correct one! Thanks, EK- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -