Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
M Skabialka M Skabialka is offline

Default Chapter number won't show up in page number or TOC

I have created a Word 2003 document with multiple sections. I inserted page
numbers which change for each section, but even though I have defined each
Section Header as the style "Header 1", which increments properly each
section, I cannot get it to apply this chpater number to the page numbers.
I followed these instructions to the letter, but the Chapter header does not
show up in the page number, and doesn't show up in the table of contents (I
get 1, 2, 3, not 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc).
a..
1.. Use the Bullets and Numbering dialog box to format your chapter titles
with a built-in heading style (heading style: Formatting applied to a
heading. Microsoft Word has nine different built-in styles: Heading 1
through Heading 9.).
2.. How?
1.. On the Format menu, click Bullets and Numbering, and then click the
Outline Numbered tab.
2.. Click a chapter-numbering style (one that includes the text "Heading
1," "Heading 2," and so on), and then click OK.
3.. If you are creating a new heading, type the text you want for the
numbered heading, and then press ENTER.
4.. To add the next numbered heading, go to the next chapter heading,
click the arrow next to the Style box on the Formatting toolbar, and then
select the heading style you specified in step 2.
1.. If your document is divided into sections (section: A portion of a
document in which you set certain page formatting options. You create a new
section when you want to change such properties as line numbering, number of
columns, or headers and footers.), click in a section or select multiple
sections in which you want to include chapter numbers along with page
numbers.
2.. On the Insert menu, click Page Numbers.
3.. Click Format.
4.. Select the Include chapter number check box.
5.. In the Chapter starts with style box, click the heading style applied
to the chapter titles.
1.. In the Use separator box, click the character that you want to
separate the chapter number from the page number.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
M Skabialka M Skabialka is offline

As a test I told it to format the page number using Heading 2, and this
works - my page says 1-1.1. I have modified Header 1 to say "Section 1" -
have I somehow messed up the Heading 1 that is needed for chaper numbers?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
M Skabialka M Skabialka is offline

Word crashed, and the repaired version allowed me to add the Chapter
headings to the page numbers. Hours of effort - and it wasn't even my
fault! Thank goodness the repair did what it should have, I was going to go
back to a previously saved version and re-do a lot of work!

Thanks for your help,
Mich

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Have you updated the TOC since making these changes?

so
all may benefit.