NetAdmin-dk

Default Word 2003 - slow to open network doc

Workstation is running W2k with Off2k3 and I used to have a problem with it
opening Word files on the network. Took up to 1 min. to open a file. Found
out it was because Word didnt have any Workgroup template reference as I had
moved the templates to the new Win2k3 server. You have to set this up after
each new installation of Office/Word 2003. As soon as I added file reference
it worked fine.

Now Im having a problem suddenly it has become slow again even I havent
changed anything on the Office installation on the workstation.
Only thing I have done was to change the switch the workstation was hooked
up to to a newer managed switch...thats the only change Ive made which could
have coursed the slowing of opening the documents.

Any suggestions guys?

BTW - have tried adding in the registry ' EnableShellDataCaching ' but it
didnt make any difference!

PS...its _only_ a problem on docs which use the templates Ive made for my
network users...regular docs are not base on the template opens fine over the
network.
Genine

It's probably better to have Workgroup templates downloaded to the user PC at
login, and then change the location to the local drive for your users.
If word has a problem accessing a network drive it really slows down,
especially if it scans all active drives to find the right template.

You can set the download script to overwrite template files when the server
date is newer than the PC date by using the /d switch in xcopy.

"NetAdmin-dk" wrote:

[...]

NetAdmin-dk

BTW...Im not using Norton AntiVirus...Im using Avast 4 antivirus...but I know
its not a antivirus problem as it has been installed all the time before it
became a problem again!