Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BoniM BoniM is offline

Default Remove lines made by "shift+dash(hold) then enter

They are borders. To remove them, choose Format, borders and shading from he
menu bar in office 2003 or before, and change the border style to none. In
Office 2007, make the same choice from the borders button in the paragraph
group of the home gallery.
To turn it off so it doesn't do it anymore at all, you can change the
AutoFormat as you type options to turn off border lines.

"Ian T" wrote:

I learned by accident that I can make a line (full width of page) by simply
holding SHIFT + the dash key 9maybe I should say shift + underscore key.

all I have to do to make the line is press shift and HOLD the underscore key
for about 1 second whille the curse to starts to race across the page. When
is has gone just an inch or so I stop, press enter, and the short line
automatically spans the whole page, exact width, automatically.

The only trouble is I cannot find any way to delete these lines. They seem
to have a mind of their own and I do not know what proper name they must be
called for help does not describe these type of lines.

They cause great trouble when pasting from other documents.

What are they?

How do I delete them.

Thank you.