Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Baret Baret is offline

Default lock text within a template

Am currently using Office XP/2002 (although soon moving to 2003).
I am creating a template which needs to be editable by all users. At the end
of the document are some Terms and Consditions. I want to lock these and make
them uneditable (password protected). Tried doing it as a form but it meant
that no areas of the document were editable (just a grey area next to the
form where I could type).

Is there a way of locking just the T&C area of the document??

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Baret
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You are not going to be able to effectively do what you want. One possible
workaround is to select the text, copy it to the clipboard then paste it
back as a picture. That will stop the editing, but it won't stop anyone else
doing the same with an edited block of text. If you cannot trust your users
to do the job, then they shouldn't really have access to the document.
Ultimately *any* document that you allow someone to see can be edited. All
you can hope to do is put a few obstacles in the way.

Baret wrote:
Am currently using Office XP/2002 (although soon moving to 2003).
I am creating a template which needs to be editable by all users. At
the end of the document are some Terms and Consditions. I want to
lock these and make them uneditable (password protected). Tried doing
it as a form but it meant that no areas of the document were editable
(just a grey area next to the form where I could type).

Is there a way of locking just the T&C area of the document??

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Baret

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Baret Baret is offline

Thanks for your reply.

What obstacles can I put in the way?
I have tried using the control toolbox and place a text box which I then
lock etc before exiting design mode which is great. The only problem is when
I reopen the document it opens in design mode and therefore moveable and
editable! Is there I way i can stop it opening in design mode and users still
able to use other areas of the document?