RNBRN

Default Update auto not checked, but current date inserts on old document

When opening an old document in Word, the current date is being inserted. The
"Update automatically" box is *not* checked in the insert date and time
option on the "Insert" menu.

I'm operating in Word 2000 (professional). Since some of these documents
were created by others and sent to me, another version of Word may have been
used to create the document.
Anne Troy

You need to replace the field with a date. To see the actual field that's
there, hit Alt+F9. Then, insert various fields from the
Insert--Field--Date... to see which one matches it.

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"RNBRN" wrote in message
When opening an old document in Word, the current date is being inserted.

The
"Update automatically" box is *not* checked in the insert date and time
option on the "Insert" menu.

I'm operating in Word 2000 (professional). Since some of these documents
were created by others and sent to me, another version of Word may have

been
used to create the document.

CyberTaz

Hi RNBRN-

It really doesn't make any difference what your setting is, it depends on
how the date was inserted into the doc when it was created. To prevent future
changes you can select & cut the date, then use EditPaste
SpecialUnformatted Text to paste it back in.

HTH |:)

"RNBRN" wrote:

When opening an old document in Word, the current date is being inserted. The
"Update automatically" box is *not* checked in the insert date and time
option on the "Insert" menu.

I'm operating in Word 2000 (professional). Since some of these documents
were created by others and sent to me, another version of Word may have been
used to create the document.

Ctrl+Shift+F9 will also unlink the date, but that's no help if it's already
updated. A better solution is to press Alt+F9 to display the DATE (or TIME)
field and edit it to be a CREATEDATE field instead. When updated, this will
show the date the document was created, and this will not change.

"RNBRN" wrote:

When opening an old document in Word, the current date is being

inserted. The
"Update automatically" box is *not* checked in the insert date and time
option on the "Insert" menu.

I'm operating in Word 2000 (professional). Since some of these documents
were created by others and sent to me, another version of Word may have

been
used to create the document.

Larry

I am also having the same issue on a Windows XP machine with Office 2000
installed. I had user uninstall Office 2K and install Office 2003 and the
same problem occurs. If today's date keep updating within the document do
you highlight the date and do Alt+F9 or can you just do this anywhere in the
document. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"RNBRN" wrote:

When opening an old document in Word, the current date is being inserted. The
"Update automatically" box is *not* checked in the insert date and time
option on the "Insert" menu.

I'm operating in Word 2000 (professional). Since some of these documents
were created by others and sent to me, another version of Word may have been
used to create the document.

Daiya Mitchell

The status of the "update automatically" box in Insert | Date and Time only
applies when one is about to insert a date that way.

The keyboard shortcut for Insert Date, and the icon on the header/footer
toolbar insert an automatically updating date field, {DATE}, so if either of
those were used in creating the doc, you get date changes.

To fix old docs, select the field, toggle field codes on the right-click
menu (or hit alt-F9), and change the {DATE} field to {CREATEDATE}.

For more information, see he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/DateFields.htm

For the future, you could make the {CREATEDATE} field into an AutoText entry
and assign it a shortcut.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

RNBRN

Thank you Anne, CyberTaz, Suzanne, and Daiya. I'll try these and see what
happens. From the information you've provided, it would appear that a good
option would be to fix the date at the time I receive the document. Then, if
I should need to go back to the document at a later time, the date will
remain the same.

Thanks again for your help!

hotmail problems

question: how do you find the original create date if you saved the file on
the current date ?

one way i have found is to :
click: File properties

search through the options.

is there another way?

"RNBRN" wrote:

Thank you Anne, CyberTaz, Suzanne, and Daiya. I'll try these and see what
happens. From the information you've provided, it would appear that a good
option would be to fix the date at the time I receive the document. Then, if
I should need to go back to the document at a later time, the date will
remain the same.

Thanks again for your help!

Patrick Neylan-Francis

But is it possible simply to put a button on the toolbar that inserts the
current date so it won't change? I'm looking for a one-click option,
otherwise I might just as well type the date.

"RNBRN" wrote:

When opening an old document in Word, the current date is being inserted. The
"Update automatically" box is *not* checked in the insert date and time
option on the "Insert" menu.

I'm operating in Word 2000 (professional). Since some of these documents
were created by others and sent to me, another version of Word may have been
used to create the document.

If the CreateDate would work for you, insert the field and save it as an
AutoText entry. You could assign a keyboard shortcut to the entry or use
AutoComplete.