Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
4charity 4charity is offline

Default Access connection and lag time - SP edition the cause?

I have an access database that I am launching a MailMerge from. The data is
on the server, while the frontend of Access is on my hard drive, as well as
the MailMerge templates. It takes a long time to run, but eventually does. I
have now put the identical front end on one of our processor's machines. It
really struggles to run the MailMerge, and many times crashes the Access
application. I am trying to figure out why it would work on my machine, and
not his. We are both running Word 200, although I have SP3, he has SP2. One
major difference I have seen is that on starting the Word App, I get the
message from Word:

"Opening this document will run the following SQL command: SELECT * FROM
[queryname]. Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you
want to continue?"

On his machine, no such message comes up.

Also, when first connecting the database to the letter, on my machine, I get
a box to choose from which type of database it is - I choose MDE (second
choice), on his machine, even starting from scratch, there is not prompt to
choose.

Could any of this be related to the unstable conditions we are seeing on his
machine? The other processors have the same version of Word as he does, and
it does not reliably run on his machine, so I cannot release it.

Thanks.