Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John Marshall, MVP John Marshall, MVP is offline

Default Optional Next Style

Styles can define the style for the next paragraph. Is there anyway to only
use the next style if something is entered?

I'd like to create a pair of styles for Q & A. The Q style would format the
line for a question and would define the next style as an A style. The A
style would format the line as an answer and define the next style as a
question. If nothing is entered on the Q style line, then the next line
should be Normal.

John... Visio MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can't do this automatically - but you can assign the 'normal' style to a
keyboard shortcut (ALT+n - may even be the default setting) to reset the
next line.

John Marshall, MVP wrote:
Styles can define the style for the next paragraph. Is there anyway
to only use the next style if something is entered?

I'd like to create a pair of styles for Q & A. The Q style would
format the line for a question and would define the next style as an
A style. The A style would format the line as an answer and define
the next style as a question. If nothing is entered on the Q style
line, then the next line should be Normal.

John... Visio MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John Marshall, MVP John Marshall, MVP is offline

I was looking for an effect similar to the bullet and number lists. If you
enter something, the next line is the next line is another bullet. Enter
nothing and it reverts to Normal.

--
John... Visio MVP

John Marshall, MVP wrote:
Styles can define the style for the next paragraph. Is there anyway
to only use the next style if something is entered?

I'd like to create a pair of styles for Q & A. The Q style would
format the line for a question and would define the next style as an
A style. The A style would format the line as an answer and define
the next style as a question. If nothing is entered on the Q style
line, then the next line should be Normal.

John... Visio MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It's not going to work because the next style will always be the alternate -
not the same with bullet or number.

John Marshall, MVP wrote:
Styles can define the style for the next paragraph. Is there anyway
to only use the next style if something is entered?

I'd like to create a pair of styles for Q & A. The Q style would
format the line for a question and would define the next style as an
A style. The A style would format the line as an answer and define
the next style as a question. If nothing is entered on the Q style
line, then the next line should be Normal.

John... Visio MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

John:

How about using AutoCorrect to replace Q: or A: with a styled para. If you
don't enter Q: or A: you stay in a Normal para.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John Marshall, MVP John Marshall, MVP is offline

That is a posibility, but what I have is two styles so that the Question is
a different clour than the answer and the Q or A is the prefix for a bullet
list.

John... Visio MVP