Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff[_4_] Jeff[_4_] is offline

Default Please help: Making Word save the -FULL- file contents, not the differences

I am a newbie to Word so please bear with me.

I have a 144 MB file named foo_orginal.doc. I make some changes to it
and save it as foo_changed.doc. This new file, foo_changed.doc, is
only 4 MB!

The new file foo_changed.doc works just fine in Word. That is, Word
sees it as the 100+ MB file that it really is and not some truncated
version of the original file, as the reduced file size would suggest.

I am assuming that Word is storing the -DIFFERENCES- between the
original and the new file in foo_changed.doc and "knows" that
foo_original.doc is the "mother" document.

Could someone please verify this assumption for me and please explain
to me how I can "force" Word to save the -FULL- contents into a file
when I save a new version of the file. That is, if I save
foo_original.doc as foo_changed_2.doc, I want foo_changed_2.doc to be
around 150 MB in size, not 4 MB as in the example above.

Please help.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Make sure that you don't have "Allow fast saves" checked on the Save tab of
Tools | Options. Also make sure that you're actually looking at your Word
document file and not one of the many temp files Word creates while you're
working.

It's also possible that 4 MB is the true size of the file and that the
original is artificially bulked up by saving versions; make sure you have
versioning turned off as well.

oups.com...