Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Peter Ide

Default Word keeps changing text outline level

Working on a long doc in Word 2002. Almost every time I open file and
sometimes just out of the blue (switching Views is one trigger) Word decides
to "format" or "analyze" my document. Most of the time, it then decides that
many paragraphs I have previously assigned as Outline level Body Text really
deserve to be Level I and unceremoniously promotes them. Typical targets for
promotion include table and figure captions plus bolded, underlined or all
CAP one-line paragraphs, in other words, anything that looks like it could
possibly be a Heading (except that it's not). Tearing hair out searching web
and FAQs for anything, really desperate for any insight anyone might possibly
be able to offer and thanks in advance for consideration.

ps.
On Autocorrect/Autoformat tab all options are unchecked except Preserve Styles
On Autoformat as You Type tab all unchecked except first 4 items (quotes,
ordinals, fractions and hyphens)