Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JMB

Default how to get back Cntrl+B

In Word 2002, I stupidly made Cntrl+B the shortcut to a style,
forgetting that it's for making text bold.

Now I can't remember what style I applied it to.

I want to go back to that style and change it to something else.

So:

--How can I find out which style has that Cntrl+B shortcut key?

--Will going back and changing the shortcut for that stye to something
else, automatically get back the bold function for Cntrl+B? If not,
how do I do so?

--(Unrelated) How do I make sure when I create or modify a style, that
it's available for all documents, old or new?

Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cooz

Hi JMB,

"How can I find out which style has that Cntrl+B shortcut key?"
Edit the current document, or create a new empty one so that it contains at
least one occurence of the style.
Choose Tools | Customize... | Keyboard...
Select the text box under 'Press new shortcut key:'
Press Ctrl-B.
The dialog shows 'Currently assigned to:' plus the name of the style.

"Will going back and changing the shortcut for that stye to something else,
automatically get back the bold function for Cntrl+B? If not, how do I do
so?"
I suggest you choose Reset all... in the same dialog in order to reassign
Ctrl-B to Bold. You can then choose another key assignment for your style.

"How do I make sure when I create or modify a style, that it's available for
all documents, old or new?"
Define the style in Normal.dot. When you open an old document (based on
Normal.dot), choose Tools | Templates and Add-ins | tab Templates and check
Automatically update document styles. _All_ documents goes a bit too far, but
presumably you will have most of your document based on Normal.dot.

Of course this works for other templates as well, i.e. "Define the style in
X.dot. When you open an old document (based on X.dot), choose Tools |
Templates and Add-ins | tab Templates and check Automatically update document
styles."

Success,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".

"JMB" wrote:

In Word 2002, I stupidly made Cntrl+B the shortcut to a style,
forgetting that it's for making text bold.

Now I can't remember what style I applied it to.

I want to go back to that style and change it to something else.

So:

--How can I find out which style has that Cntrl+B shortcut key?

--Will going back and changing the shortcut for that stye to something
else, automatically get back the bold function for Cntrl+B? If not,
how do I do so?

--(Unrelated) How do I make sure when I create or modify a style, that
it's available for all documents, old or new?

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans

Press Ctrl+Alt+(numeric keypad Plus) - the cursor wil change to a sort of
curly cross.
Press Ctrl+B - the customize keyboard dialog should open at whatever is
assigned to Ctrl+B

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"JMB" wrote in message
In Word 2002, I stupidly made Cntrl+B the shortcut to a style,
forgetting that it's for making text bold.

Now I can't remember what style I applied it to.

I want to go back to that style and change it to something else.

So:

--How can I find out which style has that Cntrl+B shortcut key?

--Will going back and changing the shortcut for that stye to something
else, automatically get back the bold function for Cntrl+B? If not,
how do I do so?

--(Unrelated) How do I make sure when I create or modify a style, that
it's available for all documents, old or new?

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JMB

Thanks for the replies, problem solved :-)