Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dan Dan is offline

Default Not able to save .DOC as data source for mail merge

Actual situation under Word 2003.

We are using the mail merge function to prepare our Lease document. The
actual process is the following.

1. We open a .DOT template with 64 pages the file is read only with password.
2. After we select the data source a .DOC the file is read only with password.
3. By double clicking on the .DOT Word 2003 open a .DOC document name
Document1.DOC when I save it I change the name for Company123.DOC and when I
close Word I been prompt to save the Data source as well I answer Yes and I
save it under the name Company123DATA.doc.
4. When I re-open my document Company123.DOC bee prompt also for the data
source with all my information.
5. When I finish all my works I do the Finish and merge function to generate
the final Document.

This is the behave under Word 2003 and for us its working well

Under Word 2007

Under Word 2007 we have the following problem we are not able to save the
Data source .DOC. Im able to do the same step as previous except at the step
3 Im able to save the DOC as Compagny123.DOC but when I close Word 2007 I
receive the following messages.

Data source File name as not been save. Do you want to save File
name

I answer Yes and I receive the following message.

This file is read only File name

With the only option OK, I click OK and Im kick out of Word 2007 and
naturally I lost the data I put in the data source

At the origin the file is not a read only file.

Scenarios

1. I try with file not set as Read Only and without password and the same
behavior append
2. I change my data source for a Excel spreadsheet and I been prompt for
saving the data source when I leave the edit data source windows. No data
lost everything works well.
3. I change my data source for a Access (MDB) file and I been prompt for
saving the data source when I leave the edit data source windows. No data
lost everything works well.

I want to know if I need to set-up a special option to have a .DOC data
source works properly or its simply a Bug.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

For Word 2007, you do not mention the part of Step 3 where you save the
datasource document as Company123DATA.doc that you were performing when
using Word 2003.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dan Dan is offline

Hi Doug,

I'm not able to save the Data source, The message I receive is

This file is read only data source file name and the only option is OK
by clicking on OK I'm kick out of words without saving the Data source.

Thanks.

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dan Dan is offline

I d'ont have any edit area to put a new name,

When I double click on the .dot file this open word with the name of
document1.doc after I select my data source via "select Recipients" when I'm
finish I save my Document1.doc under a new name via the save windows but for
my data source I never have a saving windows appear to give me the chance to
change the name.

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

Customize the Quick Access Toolbar by adding the Mail Merge Helper from
earlier versions of Word and if you use that to edit the data source, there
is a View datasource button that will allow you to open the data source as a
Word document so that you can then Use File SaveAs to save any changes that
you make to it.

--

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dan Dan is offline

Doug,

Thanks for the information, I try it and it's working, I have to change the
name of the data source every time I need to save it, but at lease it's
working.

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

The reason that you have to change the name of the data source is because
the original data source was write protected.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

news

"Dan" wrote in message
Hi Doug,

I'm not able to save the Data source, The message I receive is

This file is read only data source file name and the only option
is
OK
by clicking on OK I'm kick out of words without saving the Data
source.

Thanks.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsof" wrote:

For Word 2007, you do not mention the part of Step 3 where you save
the
datasource document as Company123DATA.doc that you were performing
when
using Word 2003.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my