Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dazed and Confused Dazed and Confused is offline

Default Problem Merging to a Word document using Access

I am merging a report prepared as a Word document with records in an Access
database. The records are sorted in numeric order in Access, so that when
they are merged, the final document (which is 100+ reports) will be in the
same numeric order.

The problem is that when it merges, Word throws the reports all around in
the merged document; they are not in the same numeric order as the records in
Access.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Even if the data appears "sorted" in Access, you cannot guarantee that
it will be provided in the same sequence to Word, at least not if it
results from a TABLE, or from a QUERY that does not specify a sequence.
You have to apply the sort sequence you want either in the Access query
that you are using as a data source, or in Word.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Dazed and Confused wrote:
I am merging a report prepared as a Word document with records in an Access
database. The records are sorted in numeric order in Access, so that when
they are merged, the final document (which is 100+ reports) will be in the
same numeric order.

The problem is that when it merges, Word throws the reports all around in
the merged document; they are not in the same numeric order as the records in
Access.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dazed and Confused Dazed and Confused is offline

Peter, thank you. Since I ran out of time, and the actual amount of reports
I needed to merge was over 7,400, I created a new database and it appears to
be fine. I'm afraid I do not know enough about Access (or Word for that
matter) to know how to do the sort sequence you mention below. I will check
the Help menu to see if I can figure it out. Thanks for pointing me in the
right direction.