Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Greg Greg is offline

Default mailmerge...it wont print the listed addresses, only the field nam

Im using files sent to me...why dont people send as PDF??

Anyway I received a Word file of a letter with the fields marked for name,
address, etc... Also received the Excel file with all the names and
addresses. Everything seems to be formatted ok. When I open the Word file,
i get a message about the database being missing or something like that.
Obviously because it came from another computer. I continue and point it to
the current location of that Excel file and then the Word file opens. At the
top, I see the field names where everything was set. Not sure if at this
point, im suppose to see that or a letter with each persons name on different
sheets. When I go to print, i get the same thing, a letter with field names
and no Excel listings. What am I missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Im using files sent to me...why dont people send as PDF??

I don't know - but maybe in this case "they" want you to be able to
modify the layout of the letters produced using merge, or maybe a .pdf
containing all the megrged letters would be very large (if you have lots
of recipients). Anyway...

When you have opened your mail merge main document (the Word document)
and attached it to the Mail merge Data Source (the Excel File) you are
supposed to /merge/ the document either to the printer, or to a new
document (which would then contain all the letters and which you would
probably then print), or possibly even to email addresses. If you try
/printing/ the mail merge main document you will probably get the wrong
results.

If you are using Word 2007, you should find the relevant functions at
the right hand end of the Mailings tab.

If you are using Word 2002/2003, the simplest thing to do is to enable
the Mailmerge toolbar (View-Toolbars). Then the icons for merge to
printer, merge to new document etc. are near the right hand end.

if you're using Word 2000 or earlier, the MailMerge toolbar should show
automatically when a Mail Merge Main Document is the active document -
again look for the relevant icons at the right hand end.

If you're using Mac Word, look for the "Data Merge Manager"

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk