Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mike Mike is offline

Default Word 2007 Cannot Access GAL

I have an odd problem at a client location. On one computer, when using Word
2007, opening Mailings€¦Envelopes and selecting the Address Book icon brings
up the Select Name window with all blanks €“ no addresses, and no address
lists to choose from. The address book works fine from within Outlook €“ both
the GAL and Contacts.

The client has a total of 12 workstations, and only one exhibits this
problem. I have ruled out user profile issues, because the environment uses
roaming profiles, and I have verified that multiple profiles exhibit the
problem on this workstation and not on others. Just to be safe, I went ahead
and created a new account and retested, with the same results. I have tested
with accounts that have local admin rights, as well as with Domain and
Enterprise Admin rights. I have also run a repair of Office 2007 and
verified system file integrity.

Client systems are all running XP SP3 and Office 2007 SBE SP1, and the
server is SBS 2003 Premium R2, all current. The systems were all built from
the same WDS image. This issue has me completely stumped; any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

1. Despite all the evidence to the contrary (starting from the same
image, using the same rights, etc.) I would still suspect that there is
a permissions issue somewhere, possibly on a temp folder. However, I do
not know where you should look for that.

2. The only other thing I can suggest right now is that it may be worth
exploring whether you can get at the GAL indirectly from Word, Excel or
perhaps Access - e.g. you can try the following:

1. Make an Access .mdb - it can be "empty" - e.g. called c:\a\gal.mdb

2. Create a .odc file - it's just a plain text file - called (say)
c:\a\gal.odc, containing the following. Modify the Data Source value as
necessary, if you don't use c:\a\gal.mdb. You will also need to find out
the correct PROFILE name for the account you're testing with.

html
head
meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/x-ms-odc; charset=utf-8"
meta name=ProgId content=ODC.Table
meta name=SourceType content=OLEDB
meta name=Table content="Global Address List"
xml id=docprops/xmlxml id=msodcodc:OfficeDataConnection
xmlnsdc="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficedc"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"
odc:Connection odc:Type="OLEDB"
odc:ConnectionStringProvider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB .4.0;Data
Source=c:\a\gal.mdb;Mode=Share Deny None;Extended Properties="Exchange
4.0;PROFILE=Outlook;TABLETYPE=1;TABLENAME=Global Address List;";Jet
OLEDB:Engine Type=48;/odc:ConnectionString
odc:CommandTypeTable/odc:CommandType
odc:CommandTextGlobal Address List/odc:CommandText
/odc:Connection
/odc:OfficeDataConnection
/xml
/head
/html

Then try to use that as a data source for a Word merge, or as a data
source in Excel (which is more likely to work, frankly).

Not sure that that will tell us anything if it works, but my reason for
suggesting it is the possibility that you'll see a more revealing error
message if it doesn't. (But I won't hold my breath...)

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Mike wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mike Mike is offline

Since these systems are running Office SBE, Access was not an option -
however, your post gave me another idea. Turned out the issue was a corrupt
mapi32.dll, which, for some reason, neither the Office repair nor SFC could
find. Problem resolved.

Mike wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Glad to hear it!

(FWIW you can always make an Access .mdb by creating a Mail Merge data
source from within Word)

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk