Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ll ll is offline

Default Bookmarks

At my previous job I made a template with a few bookmarks. One bookmark was
at the top of the letter where I would insert a date. In the template
itself, you would see brackets and then a date and when I used the template I
would just manually change the date. I also placed that bookmark in the
header after page 1 so the date would correspond with the date on the first
page.

I changed jobs and I brought over those templates. But now when I use the
template the date is always current even if I change it; if I print it goes
back to the current date.

The template is exactly the same but this bookmark is reacting differently.
I know it probably has to do with autodate. But why would it change and how
would I fix that? Any help? thanks, Lisa
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It seems as if you are inserting a DATE (or possibly TIME) field,
which always displays the current date after it's been updated. You
can replace it with a CREATEDATE field to display the creation date of
the file: Press Alt+F9 to display the field code. Change the DATE (or
TIME) part to CREATEDATE, press F9, and then press Alt+F9 again to
hide field codes. Repeat this for any existing document where the
problem exists.

For future use, you can change the template to include CREATEDATE
fields. Then you don't need a bookmark, either. Just insert the field
at the appropriate locations.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ll" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ll ll is offline

I just looked at my template and it does say CREATEDATE. See it did work at
my other job but now it doesn't. Do you think maybe there is some kind of a
default set?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

It seems as if you are inserting a DATE (or possibly TIME) field,
which always displays the current date after it's been updated. You
can replace it with a CREATEDATE field to display the creation date of
the file: Press Alt+F9 to display the field code. Change the DATE (or
TIME) part to CREATEDATE, press F9, and then press Alt+F9 again to
hide field codes. Repeat this for any existing document where the
problem exists.

For future use, you can change the template to include CREATEDATE
fields. Then you don't need a bookmark, either. Just insert the field
at the appropriate locations.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ll" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ll ll is offline

I just figured it out. Tool, Options, Print, Update fields was checked. I
just deselected it.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

It seems as if you are inserting a DATE (or possibly TIME) field,
which always displays the current date after it's been updated. You
can replace it with a CREATEDATE field to display the creation date of
the file: Press Alt+F9 to display the field code. Change the DATE (or
TIME) part to CREATEDATE, press F9, and then press Alt+F9 again to
hide field codes. Repeat this for any existing document where the
problem exists.

For future use, you can change the template to include CREATEDATE
fields. Then you don't need a bookmark, either. Just insert the field
at the appropriate locations.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ll" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, deselecting "Update fields" certainly prevents (certain) fields
from updating. But something else must be going on here, because
CREATEDATE shouldn't update at all, except when you are creating a new
document, that is, when you are choosing File | Save As (on a document
containing the field) or File | New (picking a template that contains
the field).

What is the exact field code? Are there any macros in use?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

"ll" wrote in message
news At my previous job I made a template with a few bookmarks.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ll ll is offline

It is a new document. I have the template on my toolbar. When I open it, I
save it as a new document.

"ll" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Again, what is the exact field code?

Also, is the toolbar button running a macro?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ll" wrote in message
[...]

Can I have more than one set of bookmarks Larry Root Microsoft Word Help 2 February 4th 07 10:30 AM
bookmarks Zimmo Microsoft Word Help 4 December 21st 06 10:54 PM
bookmarks Richard Microsoft Word Help 4 December 12th 06 01:56 PM
Bookmarks.. how do you know where they are exactly??? [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 2 December 1st 06 11:06 PM
Bookmarks Mary Lee Microsoft Word Help 2 August 29th 05 11:50 PM