Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mj

Default How do I get the table toolbar to auto appear when creating a tabl

How can I get the table toolbar to automatically appear when I am creating or
editing a table in Word 2003. I do not want the toolbar to be remain on all
the time.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bWo=?=,

How can I get the table toolbar to automatically appear when I am creating or
editing a table in Word 2003. I do not want the toolbar to be remain on all
the time.

There's nothing built into Word that will do this. There is a button on the
toolbar (right next to the one for inserting tables) that will turn it on,
though.

Other than that, you'd need a set of macros to manage this.

1. Display the VB Editor (Alt+F11)
2. Click on the "Normal" project, then Insert/Class
3. Copy or type the folliwng code into the class module

Public WithEvents x As Word.Application

Private Sub X_WindowSelectionChange(ByVal Sel As Selection)
If Sel.Information(wdWithInTable) Then
Application.CommandBars("Tables and Borders").Visible = True
Else
Application.CommandBars("Tables and Borders").Visible = False
End If
End Sub

4. Insert/Module
5. Into this module, copy or type the following code

Dim C As New Class1

Sub AutoExec()
ActivateEvents
End Sub

Sub ActivateEvents()
Set C.x = Word.Application
End Sub

Sub DeactivateEvents()
Set C = Nothing
End Sub

AutoExec will run when you start Word. ActivateEvents starts the code in the
class module. DeactivateEvents will turn the functionality off (but as things
stand, you'd need to run this manually; You could assign it to a toolbar button
if you wished). The code in the class considers where the cursor is (Sel =
Selection). If it's in a table, the toolbar shows; otherwise not. This is
triggered every time the location of the cursor in the document changes (except
when you're typing).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org