Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nordenian Nordenian is offline

Default How do I stop Word 2007 pasting as html by default?

I am using Office 2007 SP1 running on Vista Ultimate
I nearly always want pasted text to match the formatting of its destination
but often (not always) I have to use the 'paste special' drop down instead of
a simple CTRL-v to do it. I have set the Office cut, copy & paste defaults to
'match destination formatting', and have checked that they have not reset, .
It seems Word ignores my settings and insists on defaulting to html rather
than text only, even within a simple Word document.
How do I change this behaviour, please?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that with "Match Destination Formatting," Word still preserves
formatting applied to part of the copied text (since it is considered
emphasis; see the "Word Options (Advanced)" help topic).

If you really want to paste only the text, at all times, you can intercept
the Paste command with this macro:

Sub EditPaste()
On Error Resume Next
Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText
End Sub

Place the macro in normal.dotm or in an add-in. See
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

.
It seems Word ignores my settings and insists on defaulting to html rather
than text only, even within a simple Word document.
How do I change this behaviour, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nordenian Nordenian is offline

Many thanks for the quick reply.
Seems like I misunderstood the options and should have chosen 'keep text
only' - I thought that would insert it in Normal style instead.
I'll try that first, and if it doesn't work I'll try your macro.
Sorry for not checking Help properly before posting.

"Nordenian" wrote in message
I am using Office 2007 SP1 running on Vista Ultimate
I nearly always want pasted text to match the formatting of its
destination
but often (not always) I have to use the 'paste special' drop down instead
of
a simple CTRL-v to do it. I have set the Office cut, copy & paste defaults
'match destination formatting', and have checked that they have not reset,
.
It seems Word ignores my settings and insists on defaulting to html rather
than text only, even within a simple Word document.
How do I change this behaviour, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Keep Text Only" seems to be equivalent with pasting as unformatted text
(which is what the macro does).

Actually, "Keep Text Only" will be more convenient, because it doesn't
replace the normal Paste command, which the macro does, forcing you to Paste
Special if you want to paste a table for example.

For more on paste options, see this article:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ionsWorks.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Nordenian" wrote in message
I am using Office 2007 SP1 running on Vista Ultimate
I nearly always want pasted text to match the formatting of its
destination
but often (not always) I have to use the 'paste special' drop down
instead
of
a simple CTRL-v to do it. I have set the Office cut, copy & paste
defaults
'match destination formatting', and have checked that they have not
reset,
.
It seems Word ignores my settings and insists on defaulting to html
rather
than text only, even within a simple Word document.
How do I change this behaviour, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nordenian Nordenian is offline

Having changed the options to Keep Text Only and worked with it on new and
existing documents for a day or so, I've still got the same problem - Ctrl-v
(or the paste button) means text is pasted in its original format, not
matching the destination.
The options have not reset themselves and are still all KTO, but they seem
to make no difference.
The Paste Special dropdown always has either html or rtf highlighted when
clicked with text selected - intuitively I'd expect it to be unformatted text
if the program was paying attention to my defaults.
When I get back from holiday I'll check out the link and try your
macro...I'm using paste special every time I paste anything at the moment, so
being forced to use it for tables would be an improvement.
Thanks for your time and advice.

"Nordenian" wrote in message
I am using Office 2007 SP1 running on Vista Ultimate
I nearly always want pasted text to match the formatting of its
destination
but often (not always) I have to use the 'paste special' drop down
instead
of
a simple CTRL-v to do it. I have set the Office cut, copy & paste
defaults
'match destination formatting', and have checked that they have not
reset,
.
It seems Word ignores my settings and insists on defaulting to html
rather
than text only, even within a simple Word document.
How do I change this behaviour, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

This is a bit strange. My first guess would be that an add-in is causing the
problems. Did you install something recently?

Note that, as far as I know, the Paste Special dialog box does *not* reflect
the current pasting defaults. Rather, it lists all the available options for
pasting.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP