Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stevenjs stevenjs is offline

Default Can Microsoft be prosecuted for terrorism?

Greetings,

Don't let the headings throw you, as a usability analyst and interface
designer practicing here in NYC, I assure you they are understated.

I have found myself for the past two months in a virtual "dream job," in
every respect that is, except that I am forced to use MS Word 2003 for
documentation. The company is finally about to replace this Gorgon with
software that does not subject its users to "software terrorism," but it has
been a harrowing time indeed.

Perhaps I am ignorant of some secret trick for turning off all of the terror
tactics which MS Word employs, though not for want of searching its so-called
"Help." If so, please tell me how to stop ALL of MS Word's automatic "you
don't know what you want so I'm going to slap your face and shove what I
think you want down your throat" features.

You see, I am creating multiple outlines with screen shots and text. And
Word seems to have a perverse, sinister and sadistic mind of its own. I try
to separate the end of an outline, and restart it as a new outline. Word then
spends five minutes destroying every outline in the document, then will not
allow an undo, destroying the document.

What ever could its designers have been thinking? Was it ever even actually
"designed" by anyone? If such criminally obtrusive and unusable software is
indeed a creature of design, and the world's adoption of it as a word
processing standard is slavish obeisance to OS monopoly, then truly, de
profundis, I despair of humanity.

I use the word "terror" advisedly. I make a change to one of eight or ten
separate outlines, say increasing the indent to the next outline level, and
whoa, the hour glass pointer appears and persists interminably while I wait
helplessly to see whether the software will destroy all my work up to that
moment, result in unacceptable delays, earn disfavor higher up, cost me my
dream job, render me unable to make monthly payments, and culminate in
financial ruin, homelessness, and death.

Though by no means predictable, most often the result of one keystroke, like
a tab in the outline, when Word finally does render its twisted idea of my
idea, is to transform the entire 8 or 10 outlines into one demon outline with
fff) at my tab insertion point instead of the a) I expected and deserved.
When this occurs, many, many times a day, I am jerked and abused through a
gauntlet of emotions ranging from fear, terror, disgust, rage, and speechless
bewilderment. Again, and again, and again.

Now, it will no longer allow an undo, "too many edits" it perversely
advises, leaving the document destroyed.

Having software yank one's emotional chain is grossly abusive and arguably
criminal, holding you at pointer's gun point while you wait breathlessly in a
paralysis of fear to know your fate is nothing short of terrorism. Native,
all-American terrorism practiced by one of the country and the world's
leading corporations: Microsoft. In its world-standard Word product.

I discovered, quite by accident, that (in most cases), the Cntrl Z or the
undo command will cause the software to reverse its fascistic zeal and
un-destroy my document, occasionally leaving me with something akin to what I
desired and expected. This is the terrorist saying, 'well, I didn't actually
harm you after all, did I?' As if terror were not terror if there is no
bodily harm.

Now it has escalated to bodily harm, disallowing undo, and destroying the
document permanently.

What disturbs me at least as much is that outrage against this treatment is
not ubiquitous, is in fact absent, though mass demonstrations in the street
would be a most appropriate response to corporate adoption of this insidious
corporate terror.

I dispair of a humanity that could adopt such junkware as a de facto WP
standard, that could allow it to exist at all.

If anyone knows how I can completely disarm the terror this application is
programmed to inflict, please do let me know. I would be delighted to
manually create everything without its "helpful" destruction.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default problems with Outlining in Word2003 Can Microsoft be prosecutedfor terrorism?

Are you a columnist, or perhaps a blogger, required to turn out 5000
words per issue, whether you have something to say or not? (I must
say, that appears to apply to Vanity Fair's James Wolcott every few
months.)

I think your question is about managing Outline styles in Word2003,
and the MVPs here are incredibly helpful -- you're not exactly the
first user to have problems with outlines -- and will gladly refer you
to useful documents that were posted five years ago dealing with
exactly these problems.

But you have to indicate in your subject line that you actually have a
question about using Word.

On Jun 29, 8:04*am, stevenjs
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stevenjs stevenjs is offline

Default problems with Outlining in Word2003 Can Microsoft be prosecute

The damage is already done.

Which part of the 5000 words don't you get? All computing humanity is
hostage.

now that you've changed the title, can you answer the question?

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

To: Grammatim,

I found it ironic that this person's "virtual" dream job included being
sadistic tortured by snaked-haired Gorgon software which slapped him and
stuffed things down his throat. No doubt, as he stared into his monitor, he
was turned into stone, thus unable to get anything done. But when I dream
about women -- and Gorgon was a woman -- I don't anthropomorphize software as
a female character in my dream. But each to their own, I guess.

Steven Craig Miller

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How is that a matter for helping you use Word? Save it for your blog,
which no one actually has to read.

Graham answered the question -- just as I expected, with the
information you need -- while I was composing my message. I'm
surprised that he had the patience to wade through all the verbiage to
discover what you were actually asking.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I do admire your torturing the dead metaphor into absurdities almost
matching OP's presuppositions! And in so many fewer words!

To: Grammatim,

wrote:
[...]

manually create everything without its "helpful" destruction.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Helen is offline

Default problems with Outlining in Word2003 Can Microsoft be prose

Oh lighten up, folks. It was an amusing rant.

To: Grammatim,

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJY PJY is offline

Really??? What was amusing about it? It wasted about 5 minutes of my
precious time!! And, I never found the question!! But, I guess that was his
point all along - he wanted us to read his rant while searching for the
question.

To: Grammatim,