Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tracey[_2_] Tracey[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007 hangs on exit

I'm running Windows XP and Word 2007 (with McAfee Security Centre). When I
close a document in Word 2007 the program immediately hangs. Unlike other
users who have reported an error message or a restart, I get nothing. I then
have to go into taskmanager and shut down Word. The rest of my 2007
applications work fine. Help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Problems closing Word are very similar in cause to problems opening Word.
Usual culprits a

1. Corrupted normal.dotm.

2. Corrupted registry entries.

3. Misbehaving add-ins.

The article shown here provides general steps to try:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

It was written for earlier versions, but the same steps still apply, albeit
updated to reflect the fact that Word 2007 has some differences, such as
normal.dotm, instead of normal.dot, and the data key being located he

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Data

Try the steps and suggestions to see if they prevent Word from hanging on
exit.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Tracey" wrote in message
I'm running Windows XP and Word 2007 (with McAfee Security Centre). When I
close a document in Word 2007 the program immediately hangs. Unlike other
users who have reported an error message or a restart, I get nothing. I
then
have to go into taskmanager and shut down Word. The rest of my 2007
applications work fine. Help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tracey[_2_] Tracey[_2_] is offline

Seems to have been the corrupted Normal.dotm file, I'm assuming caused when I
upgraded from Word 2003 - still takes a while for World 2007 to close, but no
more hanging problem. Cheers.

"Tracey" wrote in message
I'm running Windows XP and Word 2007 (with McAfee Security Centre).
When I close a document in Word 2007 the program immediately hangs.
Unlike other users who have reported an error message or a restart,
I get nothing. I then
have to go into taskmanager and shut down Word. The rest of my 2007
applications work fine. Help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Even though you aren't encountering Word hanging, the fact that it takes
some time to close indicates there is still a problem. I'm wondering if you
have an add-in that modifies your Normal template and the delay you are
encountering is due to Word saving your Normal template. When Word closes do
you see "Saving Normal template" or something similar in the status bar?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Tracey" wrote in message
I'm running Windows XP and Word 2007 (with McAfee Security Centre).
When I close a document in Word 2007 the program immediately hangs.
Unlike other users who have reported an error message or a restart,
I get nothing. I then
have to go into taskmanager and shut down Word. The rest of my 2007
applications work fine. Help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mpdavis73@comcast.net is offline

We are having a similar issue with staffing software, but I am not
sure where the issue is coming from. When in the other software, we
setup to send a resume (file attachment) in email, then when sending
the mail to Outlook 2003, it triggers a Word 2003 process that then
hangs until ending task - the staffing software support said
deselecting Word from the Mail Format tab in Outlook would correct it,
but it has not. We are not having any other issue with Outlook or
Word. Office 2003 is installed on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, and
the users are connecting to Citrix PS 4.5 and an ICA desktop. The user
DOES NOT SEE Word running in task bar (access to Task Manager is
restricted) and we have to end the process through Terminal Services
Manager or Citrix Access Management Console. If this is not the
correct forum, please let me know where. An additional thought: is
there a Windows-wide default spell checker? TIA for any response.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

If this issue originates from your staffing software then the likely cause
is there is an error in the automation code. What you are describing is a
fairly common error when automating applications and it sounds as though
they aren't ending the Word task correctly or there is an error in their
code that is triggering another instance of Word, which isn't hard to do.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word