Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
thelisha thelisha is offline

Default Tab Leader Problem in Index (Word 2003)

Hello Group!
I have been experiencing a strange problem with the Tab Leader feature when
I create an Index using Word 2003. For some of the entries, the spacing is
off and it does not even show the tab leader in the entry. This happens when
I have an entry with many page number references. The page numbers are so
close to the entry and there is no leader between them. For example, I will
have something like this: Spouse2-2, 2-4, 2-5
Instead of Spouse . . . 2-2, 2-4, 2-5

This is an issue that has bothered me for quite some time and I am not sure
if there are other users who have experienced this. Is there a way to correct
this problem with the Word Indexing feature? Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

When you generate the Index is there a check in the box for Right Align Page
Numbers?

If 'yes' then it could be the number of columns in the index relative to the
length of the index entries... long entries in a narrow column will prevent
the leader from appearing.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"thelisha" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
thelisha thelisha is offline

Hi CyberTaz,
Yes, the check is in the box for right align page numbers and I have it set
for two columns. So the problem is probably just as you said, in that the
long entries are not allowing the leader to appear. I just thought that Word
would be better set up and would know to wrap the text for the longer
entries. It wrapped some of them, but not all, and that is what frustrated me
about generating the Index, because I couldn't figure out the pattern Word
uses to either wrap or not wrap long index entries. I hope 2007 has a better
way of creating an Index, because I will soon be upgrading to that version!
Thank you for your help in this matter.
Thelisha

Index problem Rich Microsoft Word Help 1 March 26th 06 08:05 AM
Index problem Rich Microsoft Word Help 0 March 24th 06 03:07 PM
tab leader in index dar Microsoft Word Help 0 August 16th 05 05:19 AM
Index problem jacobk Microsoft Word Help 2 June 18th 05 07:10 PM
Problem with Page Numbers in Index using Word 2002 jdkelley Microsoft Word Help 1 December 1st 04 03:32 PM