Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jack R Jack R is offline

Default Word is slow opening files

I have a friend with a reasonably new machine, it is a dual-core Pent, 1GB
RAM, over 150GB free on the drive, etc.
A decent machine for home/office use.
The problem is that opening a Word document via My Documents is very slow,
but opening from Word is fast.
For instance, if you go to My Docs, double-click a *.doc file, it takes 10
seconds or so to open Word, and then takes another 5 - 10 seconds to open
the (small) document.
If you go to Start, Word, Word opens 'instantly', and then select Open, My
Docs, file, it opens 'instantly' also.
('instantly' means well less than a second)
Any thoughts on fixing this are appreciated, thanks.

Happy New Year to All!

Jack R

hks hks is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
I have a friend with a reasonably new machine, it is a dual-core Pent, 1GB
RAM, over 150GB free on the drive, etc.
A decent machine for home/office use.
The problem is that opening a Word document via My Documents is very slow,
but opening from Word is fast.
For instance, if you go to My Docs, double-click a *.doc file, it takes 10
seconds or so to open Word, and then takes another 5 - 10 seconds to open
the (small) document.
If you go to Start, Word, Word opens 'instantly', and then select Open, My
Docs, file, it opens 'instantly' also.
('instantly' means well less than a second)
Any thoughts on fixing this are appreciated, thanks.

Happy New Year to All!

Jack R
Yes you alright friends.
because word searching files which you want open...and they process the application too
That`s make slow
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Iceman Iceman is offline

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:09:54 -0500, Jack R wrote in message
:

I have a friend with a reasonably new machine, it is a dual-core Pent, 1GB
RAM, over 150GB free on the drive, etc.
A decent machine for home/office use.
The problem is that opening a Word document via My Documents is very slow,
but opening from Word is fast.
For instance, if you go to My Docs, double-click a *.doc file, it takes 10
seconds or so to open Word, and then takes another 5 - 10 seconds to open
the (small) document.
If you go to Start, Word, Word opens 'instantly', and then select Open, My
Docs, file, it opens 'instantly' also.
('instantly' means well less than a second)
Any thoughts on fixing this are appreciated, thanks.

See:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ns_very_slowly

Shorter link: http://tinyurl.com/8smepf

You could also try reregistering Word.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jack R Jack R is offline

"Iceman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks very much, I'll check out those sites.
Jack R