Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wal wal is offline

Default Problem with custom dictionary

Word 2007

Our office recently upgraded(?) from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (in
conjunction with getting new computers). I moved my Word 2003
CUSTOM.DIC file to the appropriate folder on the new computer.

The Proofing dialog shows CUSTOM.DIC, which is checked. However, I
cannot Add new words to the dictionary when I spellcheck a document.
Also, in the Proofing dialog, although I can open CUSTOM.DIC and
scroll down the list of words, I cannot Add a word there, via Edit
Word List. The error message "Proofing Engine could not write to
specified Custom Dictionary" appeared.

However, existing words in CUSTOM.DIC are recognized when I spell-
check a document.

SOLUTION (I worked this out as I was typing this query): In Word, use
the Proofing dialog to create a New custom.dic (use a different
name). Uncheck both CUSTOM.DIC and the new .dic file for the time
being. Close out the Proofing dialog and close out Word. From the
desktop open both old CUSTOM.DIC and your new .dic file. Copy-paste
all the words from the old one to the new. Move the old CUSTOM.DIC
file somewhere safe for the time being. Rename the new .dic file
CUSTOM.dic. Back in Word and the Proofing dialog, Add and check
CUSTOM.DIC. (You may have to go back and forth a couple of times to
ensure that Word and the desktop are coordinated.) Test the Add
feature with the new .dic file, and make sure it contains your old
word list. If it works, delete the old one from your computer.

Custom dictionary icarnelli Microsoft Word Help 13 June 16th 08 04:15 AM
Custom Dictionary Word Users New Users 1 September 28th 06 12:28 AM
Custom dictionary Grandmaid Microsoft Word Help 1 October 18th 05 02:52 AM
custom dictionary Bryan Microsoft Word Help 0 January 26th 05 10:19 PM
custom dictionary Bryan Microsoft Word Help 0 January 24th 05 02:16 AM