Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Aurora Aurora is offline

Default Page numbering

I am using Word 2003
I have a 77 page document. In the footer of the page I have "page x" using
the codes offered in the footer menu. In this document I also have pages
that contain notes or headings that I want in my Table of Contents, but do
not want these pages to print in the document. Ex: I want pages 1-10 of the
document to print, page 11 does not print, but the next pages which begins
with 12 (but should be 11 - 77) should print. I need to change the page
number in the footer. I tried going to Insert Page Numbers to change the
number of page 11 to begin at page 10, so that next page will be page 11, but
it always wants to add the page number to the bottom of the page. I do not
want that. How can I change the page number in the footer without using the
insert - page numbering feature?

aurora
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Assuming that you do want the *contents* of page 11 to print (but not
its headers and footers), do the following: Add a "Next page" section
break on page 10 (Insert | Break). Place the cursor in the new
section. Click File | Page Setup. On the Layout tab, check the
"Different first page" option. Click OK. Next, click View | Header and
Footer. Go to the first page header of your new section. Click the
"Same As Previous" (or "Link to Previous") button on the Header and
Footer toolbar to turn it off. Then you can delete the contents of the
header. When you are done, click Close to close the header/footer
area.

See also http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Aurora" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Assuming that you do want the *contents* of page 11 to print (but

not
its headers and footers), do the following: Add a "Next page"

section
break on page 10 (Insert | Break). Place the cursor in the new
section. Click File | Page Setup. On the Layout tab, check the
"Different first page" option. Click OK. Next, click View | Header

and
Footer. Go to the first page header of your new section. Click the
"Same As Previous" (or "Link to Previous") button on the Header and
Footer toolbar to turn it off. Then you can delete the contents of

the
header. When you are done, click Close to close the header/footer
area.

Clarification: You will have to unlink headers and footers separately,
and also delete their contents separately.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP