Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Russell Campbell Russell Campbell is offline

Default Is this bug fixed in Word 2007?

I'm using Word 2003 and there's this really frustrating and stupid bug (it
always astounds me how crappy the MS software can be while they make
billions of dollars) that makes my apply a margin change twice before it
will accept it. Specifically, I highlight a few lines of text and in the
ruler, I grab the bottom of the margin control and drag it over a quarter or
half inch or whatever. The control stays where I put it but the left margin
of the text does not move. I then click in the highlighed text and the
margin control jumps back to where it started. I perform the same procedure
again and this time it works. Is anyone using Word 2007 seeing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm not seeing that problem now in Word 2007 -- nor in Word 2003, for that
matter. However, I have seen that problem in the past in Word 2003 and
earlier. I don't know if the problem was fixed by an update to Word itself
or perhaps due to an update in some other system component. In fact, I'm now
using a new computer, so it's possible that one of any number of things
"fixed" it.

Possibilities include Word 2003 itself, interaction between Word and a
quirky display display or printer driver, some other rendering component in
the operating system (I'm now using Vista).

So... is the problem fixed in Word 2007? Well, I don't see it happening in
2007 or 2003. So, it's impossible to say whether it will be fixed in 2007
for you, using your current setup. If you have all of the Office 2003
updates and the problem still exists, I would try switching printer drivers
(maybe just switch to a different default printer to see if it makes a
difference, and if it does, see if you can find a new driver for your
printer from the manufacturer) to see if that "fixes" it. If not, then I'd
move on to see if a different display driver or resolution setting fixes it.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com