Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter Rooney Peter Rooney is offline

Default Peculiar Ruler in Word

My wife has just emailed me a Word document that is SUPPOSED to be set up for
A4, but the ruler across the top of the document shows 0-54 cm
I can't get this to go back to the normal A4 ruler which would show 21 (or
29.7 if landscape).
If I close the doc an restart Word, the ruler STILL shows the wrong
measurement, so obviously some default or other has been changed.
Can anyone offer any advice as to how i can get it back to the correct A4
ruler?
Thanks in advance
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter Rooney Peter Rooney is offline

Graham,

No luck, I'm afraid.
The ruler still shows -3 to 18.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Even when I restart Word, the print view shows a piece of paper that's
almost square - not A4 at all!

Pete

Peter Rooney wrote:
My wife has just emailed me a Word document that is SUPPOSED to be
set up for A4, but the ruler across the top of the document shows
0-54 cm
I can't get this to go back to the normal A4 ruler which would show
21 (or
29.7 if landscape).
If I close the doc an restart Word, the ruler STILL shows the wrong
measurement, so obviously some default or other has been changed.
Can anyone offer any advice as to how i can get it back to the
correct A4 ruler?
Thanks in advance
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Two possible issues:

1. The document contains tracked changes or comments and Word is expanding
the margin to allow for the "balloons."

2. You have white space hidden; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm.

From your description, (1) seems more likely.

Peter Rooney wrote:
My wife has just emailed me a Word document that is SUPPOSED to be
set up for A4, but the ruler across the top of the document shows
0-54 cm
I can't get this to go back to the normal A4 ruler which would show
21 (or
29.7 if landscape).
If I close the doc an restart Word, the ruler STILL shows the wrong
measurement, so obviously some default or other has been changed.
Can anyone offer any advice as to how i can get it back to the
correct A4 ruler?
Thanks in advance
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

And perhaps the ruler/grid origin has been disturbed somehow?

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
To tell you the truth, my money's on #2...

-3 to 0 cm is left edge to left margin = 3 cm
0 to 18 cm is left margin to rt edge = 18 cm
18 cm + 3 cm = the 21 cm he's looking for, and the page looks "almost
square" because the white space is hidden (21 cm X 25 cm displayed).
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Two possible issues:

1. The document contains tracked changes or comments and Word is

expanding
the margin to allow for the "balloons."

2. You have white space hidden; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm.

From your description, (1) seems more likely.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

Peter Rooney wrote:
My wife has just emailed me a Word document that is SUPPOSED to be
set up for A4, but the ruler across the top of the document shows
0-54 cm
I can't get this to go back to the normal A4 ruler which would show
21 (or
29.7 if landscape).
If I close the doc an restart Word, the ruler STILL shows the wrong
measurement, so obviously some default or other has been changed.
Can anyone offer any advice as to how i can get it back to the
correct A4 ruler?
Thanks in advance
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter Rooney Peter Rooney is offline

Good morning, all!
Post Easter weekend update:

At home, I uninstalled and reinstalled Office (Publisher is unaffected by
this problem - starts with a normal looking A4 document) but to no avail.

The worrying thing is that since I opened the document in Word at work,
THAT's corrupted too! At the moment, the ruler shows a left hand margin from
-1 to 0, then the ruler running from 0 to 19 and the right hand margin
running from 19 to 20. the length of the page is the same, giving the page a
roughly square appearance.

Just wondering if some nasty piece of hidden VBA has corrupted the registry
in some way and now it's corrupted my settings too.

Does anyone have any idea as to if and where the paper size for Word is
stored in the registry, so i can at least go and check if the settings are
correct?

All I want is for Word to open with a nice A4 sized document!

Yours in desperation

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter Rooney Peter Rooney is offline

Oops.
I stand corrected - it WAS the white space issue.
Feeling a bit foolish, but thank you all for solving this.
Not sure why I couldn't make it work last weekm but have just done now, but
there you go.
Thanks again
Pete

"Peter Rooney" wrote:

[...]

Ruler set up in Word DanielleK Microsoft Word Help 2 April 4th 07 08:38 PM
Peculiar behaviour of form Aalaan New Users 5 February 25th 07 05:43 PM
Word ruler The Rose Lady Page Layout 2 May 7th 06 06:56 PM
DOES ANYBODY KNOW? - Peculiar Print Layout Display Pat Garard Microsoft Word Help 7 May 30th 05 01:17 AM
how to put ruler in word mottley Microsoft Word Help 1 December 1st 04 11:49 PM