Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CreekLeaper CreekLeaper is offline

Default Somehow I accidentally select a block of text and erase it

I have a laptop and the version of Word that came with Windows vista.

I'll be happily typing along, and suddenly a block of text will become
selected, or highlighted, and with the next letter I type the selected text
will all disappear. I imagine I'm accidentally rubbing my thumb on the
touchpad and selecting it all somehow -- is there a way to turn this off?
I've always had laptops and have never had this problem before.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

For 2003, Tools, Options, Edit, uncheck the "Typing replaces selection" option.
For 2007, look under the Microsoft Office Button and Word Options.
Hope this points you in the right direction.
DeanH

"CreekLeaper" wrote:

I have a laptop and the version of Word that came with Windows vista.

I'll be happily typing along, and suddenly a block of text will become
selected, or highlighted, and with the next letter I type the selected text
will all disappear. I imagine I'm accidentally rubbing my thumb on the
touchpad and selecting it all somehow -- is there a way to turn this off?
I've always had laptops and have never had this problem before.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

You are very welcome.