Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fernando Fernando is offline

Default Best way to handle large bitmaps in Word 2003

Hello,

By default, whenever I insert an image (e.g. JPG) in Word 2003, it is scaled
down to fit the dimensions of the page layout. For example, if the image
represents a Gantt chart (Gantt charts are intrinsically wide and shallow)
the contents become so small that are not readable anymore after being shrunk
to fit the width of the page.
In the following link you can see an example where the image was
automatically scaled down to 40% of the original size to make it fit between
the left and right margins:
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...creenshot1.jpg
As can be seen, the text on the inserted image is not readable.

On the other hand, if I manually set the scale to remain at 100%, then the
image gets clipped on the right margin. Unless the people reading the .DOC
are well versed in MS-word, they won't figure out that the image was either
automatically scaled down (first case) or clipped (second case). Neither
situation offers a satistactory reading experience.

Now, this is what I want: I would like to let MS-Word scale down the image
to fit the width of the page (default behavior, first case above) and also
place an hyperlink on it so that when it's Ctrl+clicked a new popup modal
window is opened where a full-scale, readable image is displayed. And here is
where I'm stuck. I can anchor the hyperlink to a new .DOC file with a custom,
wide page layout cointaining only the image at full size. Although this
reasonably does what I want, the problem is that the file containing the
image is a *separate* .DOC file, which certainly is not what I'm after.
Ideally, I'd prefer if this .DOC file were an "embedded resource" within the
original document. This way I can deliver a single file. Is this achievable ?
Is there a better way to handle this situation ? What is the standard pattern
to handle the readability issues of wide images within .DOC files ? How about
programmatically opening a pop-up window via a macro with the full-scale
image? Is this also feasible ?

Guidelines and hints appreciated.

Thanks,
Fernando

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Fernando,

Your approach may depend on whether the graphic needs to
-travel with the document
-be printable by the folks viewing it
-places you can store the graphic.

For example, within a Word document if it fits in a landscape page you can insert section breaks to create a landscape page between
two breaks and have that section oriented as a landscape section with smaller page margins.

If you want to keep it in a Word document that doesn't need to be printable then yes, you can have a Word page up to 22" x 22".

If it doesn't have to travel with the document (i.e. by email for example) you can link to the graphic on disk and the hyperlink
should open the graphic in either the graphic program/viewer or browser set by the person viewing the file for that graphic type.

A macro can be written to both insert a graphic and then hyperlink to the original item on disk that you can use, but you may want
to avoid relying on a macro being available to show the graphic as many folks may have those shut off, especially in controlled
company environments.

==============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fernando Fernando is offline

Thanks Bob !

I finally inserted section breaks and ended with a landscape sheet (the one
that hosts the wide bitmap) within a portrait document. Not very elegant, but
it works.

Fernando