Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Windancer Windancer is offline

Default Table of Contents - Marking Text

I am using Word 2007. I would like to have a Table of Contents but I only
want the text that I select included in the TOC, not the whole paragraph. I
have highlighted the text I want and click on "Add text" and the level, but
when I run the TOC, it's not there. I never had this problem in previous
versions. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help on this.
--
Nancy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), you can clear the "Disable Linked
Styles" option if it is checked. Then you should be able to "paint" a
heading on top of a non-heading paragraph, as in previous versions of Word.

Alternatively, add the Style Separator command to the Quick Access Toolbar,
and use it to "split" the paragraph. After you've inserted a style separator
in a paragraph, you can add more text and then format the two parts in
different paragraph styles. (You will find it easier to work with style
separators if you first display paragraph marks in the text: Office button |
Word Options, Display category.)

A third way is to mark text for inclusion in the TOC by using the Mark Table
of Contents Entry dialog box, which you can display by pressing Alt+Shift+O.
Then do the following to insert the TOC: On the References tab, click Table
of Contents, and then click Insert Table of Contents. In the dialog box,
click Options. Check the "Table entry fields" option. If you don't want any
styles or outline levels in the TOC, clear those two check boxes. Finally,
click OK twice.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Windancer" wrote in message
I am using Word 2007. I would like to have a Table of Contents but I only
want the text that I select included in the TOC, not the whole paragraph.
have highlighted the text I want and click on "Add text" and the level,
but
when I run the TOC, it's not there. I never had this problem in previous
versions. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help on this.
--
Nancy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Windancer Windancer is offline

I used Alt+Shift+O and it worked perfect. Thanks.

I have one more question. What is "table identifier". I noticed that when I
did Alt+Shift+O it started with "table identifier C but could be changed to
A, B etc. Is C the default?
--
Nancy