Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon R. Sharon R. is offline

Default Using Field/Styleref in Headers ...

Hi all,

I am using Field Styleref to automatically include the content of a
paragraph style in my document headers (typically user guides). However, I am
now working on a regular (but long) document and I want to use a similar
function to include a style reference that is character style rather than
paragraph style i.e. it is the content of a form field. This does not work
using Field/Styleref for obvious reasons but ... is there a function that
will do this for me?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

SR
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It should work perfectly fine to use a character style in a STYLEREF field.
In fact, this is specifically recommended for use in form documents. What
happens when you try?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sharon R." wrote in message
Hi all,

I am using Field Styleref to automatically include the content of a
paragraph style in my document headers (typically user guides). However, I
am
now working on a regular (but long) document and I want to use a similar
function to include a style reference that is character style rather than
paragraph style i.e. it is the content of a form field. This does not work
using Field/Styleref for obvious reasons but ... is there a function that
will do this for me?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

SR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon R. Sharon R. is offline

Hi Stefan,

I get "Error! No text of specified style in document". When I add a
paragraph mark as part of the style it works a treat but ... it's not what I
want.

Thanks for any help you can give.

S.

"Sharon R." wrote in message
Hi all,

I am using Field Styleref to automatically include the content of a
paragraph style in my document headers (typically user guides). However, I
am
now working on a regular (but long) document and I want to use a similar
function to include a style reference that is character style rather than
paragraph style i.e. it is the content of a form field. This does not work
using Field/Styleref for obvious reasons but ... is there a function that
will do this for me?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

SR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that you will have to apply the character style to some text--or to the
spaces of a text form field, assuming that this is a protected form.

What version of Word is this?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sharon R." wrote in message
Hi all,

I am using Field Styleref to automatically include the content of a
paragraph style in my document headers (typically user guides).
However, I
am
now working on a regular (but long) document and I want to use a
similar
function to include a style reference that is character style rather
than
paragraph style i.e. it is the content of a form field. This does not
work
using Field/Styleref for obvious reasons but ... is there a function
that
will do this for me?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

SR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon R. Sharon R. is offline

Your earlier response gave me the encouragement to investigate further. I was
just looking at the formatting when this came in. You're absolutely right ...
I had a mixture of paragraph and character in the style. I changed to just
character and it works like a dream. Hope this might be a good lesson to
others so don't mind that it happened.

(BTW, it's Word 2003. Ne'er shall I venture forth into the pastures of 2007.
Not yet anyway!) :-(

Thanks a lot for .

S.

"Sharon R." wrote in message
Hi all,

I am using Field Styleref to automatically include the content of a
paragraph style in my document headers (typically user guides).
However, I
am
now working on a regular (but long) document and I want to use a
similar
function to include a style reference that is character style rather
than
paragraph style i.e. it is the content of a form field. This does not
work
using Field/Styleref for obvious reasons but ... is there a function
that
will do this for me?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

SR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted.

Note that when adding a character style to the text at the end of a
paragraph Word tends to apply the style to the paragraph mark even if it
wasn't selected. Of course, this causes the paragraph mark to be displayed
by the STYLEREF field, which is annoying. To work around the issue, select
the paragraph mark (in the document text), and then press Ctrl+SpaceBar.
(This particular issue is also described in the following article which has
more on the STYLEREF field:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm.)

Indeed, if you are happy with Word 2003 there is no need to upgrade.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP